C:\ WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT

rrussgriffin 19:20 31 Aug 2004

Hi i am having trouble with my pc. I am running XP pro and have all the latest updates. I have tried to open some programs and get the following message...(In the blue bar at the top) it says..16 bit Windows Subsystem...and underneath it says.. C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable
for running MS-Dos and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application....I have had some help from people on this site, by installing Autoexec.nt..Config.nt and Command.com. I have also tried to copy files to the system32 file as suggested,this works fine until i restart my pc it goes back to the same problem. Any ideas.Russ.

Dan the Confused 20:52 31 Aug 2004
  rrussgriffin 08:29 02 Sep 2004

Dan, I have tried all of that and it is still the same. At first when I did the first bit and tried to run a program it was ok. Then when I restarted it was back to square one so i tried the second part and I think I did it correctly. When I restart same again.

Dan the Confused 19:11 02 Sep 2004

Have you checked the hard drive for errors? Click start>run and type cmd (press enter) then type chkdsk /f (press enter).

rrussgriffin 16:00 05 Sep 2004

I tried to open a win 98 cd to make a boot disk, so this is one program, and some programs i had running before i put service pack 2 on. Which i have now removed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?