c-media ac97 sound card

Navid.s 15:09 25 Feb 2006

When i install the drivers on my c-media ac97 sound card 1 of the audio things on device manager c-media ac97 audio device have a question mark next to it. if double click it its says device cannot start (code 10) the rest of the sound thing on device manager are ok, but the computer does not have sound.
thanks

Gongoozler 15:31 25 Feb 2006

The error message suggests that you are installing the wrong driver.

Navid.s 17:00 25 Feb 2006

no it cant be, because i got the driver from windows update

jimv7 17:13 25 Feb 2006

As Gongoozler has said, most likely the wrong driver,

Go the motherboards manufacturers website and download the correct driver for your motherboard as c-media ac97 comes in various flavours.

Eric10 17:42 25 Feb 2006

I've had incorrect C-media AC97 driver updates from the Windows Updates site. In Device Manager go to the Properties of the affected device and select the Driver tab. Now click the 'Roll Back Driver' button to return to what worked before the update.

Stuartli 19:20 25 Feb 2006

WindowsUpdate drivers are often well out of date.

You probably have the C-Media 8738 chipset (it's used by a lot of manufacturers both for onboard sound and in PCI form at remarkably low prices), which I used for several years on an Elite motherboard.

It produces remarkably good sound quality and although I now use a SoundBlaster Live! the difference is not all that substantial with my IBM 2.1 speakers.

The C-Media website is at:

click here

It's well worth downloading the helicopter 3D surround sound and vision demo file and using it in 2.1 form - it's quite amazingly realistic (I presume it's still available).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?