C: Drive Usage

Retiredidiot 13:12 13 Dec 2007

I use my PC mainly for editing pictures (Photoshop) and I have a 190Gb hard drive. I tend to keep my free space, on the drive, to about 150Gb by deleting unwanted pictures or copying them to an external drive and then deleting them on the C drive. All this was working fine and then overnight the computer thinks I only have 35Gb left on the C drive. On looking at the programs, on the C drive, there doesn't seem to be anything very big taking up space so what's gone wrong?

anskyber 14:21 13 Dec 2007

Try a system restore?

Quiller. 14:44 13 Dec 2007

is a usefull free program to show you how much space each folder is using. It is graduated, so the largest folders will be listed first. You can open the subfolders to delve right in. click here

If you can diagnose the fault as to were the extra space is going, you could restore as anskyber recommends.

skidzy 17:36 13 Dec 2007

Have you checked your recycle bin ?

What OS, xp / Vista ?

Retiredidiot 17:44 13 Dec 2007

My OS is Vista. Bin is empty.

skidzy 17:49 13 Dec 2007

If Vista,then the problem could be System Restore,see my post click here

Retiredidiot 18:21 14 Dec 2007

Followed your system restore procedure, Skidzy, and lo and behold the freespace went from 35Gb to 70Gb so thanks for that, but still missing 80Gb.
By the way, I tried a system restore, before doing the above and it had no effect.

Retiredidiot 13:19 16 Dec 2007

The problem is now fixed. I ran treesize, thanks quiller,and it showed I had a temp file, within App Data of 115Gb. This file was associated with Photoshop and should have been cleared by Photoshop but for some reason wasn't. I deleted it and got back my disk space.
What I don't understand is the App Data file is within the Doc & Settings Folder so why, when I looked at the Doc & Settings Properties didn't it show that it was a huge file, Treesize saw it but Properties didn't?
I'd like to thank you all for you help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?