C Drive not showing up in "My Computer"

andy625 19:51 23 Aug 2008

When I click "My Computer", all I get displayed is Shared documents, cd drive and my documents - no C drive. How do I reset it to show C drive too??

rdave13 20:12 23 Aug 2008

Try right clicking 'my computer' click on 'manage' then disk management, if you see disk 0 then assign the letter 'C' for it (assuming one harddrive) by right clicking drive and click on 'Change drive letter and paths...'.

GaT7 20:17 23 Aug 2008

rdave, I'm not sure it's possible to change the drive letter of the active system drive (assuming C drive is in this case), but worth a try I suppose.

Anyway if it doesn't work, try the Tweak UI suggestion by Ramesh posted on 'Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:15am' at click here.

Apparently some malware could be the cause too. Have you run up-to-date antivirus & antispyware programs? G

andy625 20:29 23 Aug 2008

In Computer management - Disk Management, in the top right section of the window it says that the Volume is (C:), however in the bottom right hand section of the window, it says disk 0in the grey section then (C:) in the white section next to it (where the blue bar goes over the top).

When I try to change hte drive letter and path, it won't let me.

rdave13 20:31 23 Aug 2008

Agree but it might be that the drive has lost it's path, not really changing the letter but reinstating it.

andy625 20:36 23 Aug 2008

OK, while youwere typing that, I tried the TweaksUI program, and that's fixed it. They were hidden.

I think it may have been malware or something as I had few other weird things happen reecently.

Thanks for the help!

GaT7 20:39 23 Aug 2008

Don't forget to run updated scans as there may well be malware remnants. G

andy625 20:45 23 Aug 2008

OK thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?