C: drive filling up by itself.help!?

sp.602 07:18 08 Jul 2015

i observed that my c drive space is decreasing automatically laptop running on windows 8.1 i dont know im losing 2gbs of c drive space everyday i use ccleaner but it doesnt give me my space back did a full system virus scan but no issues found.

what can be the problem?? is it due to windows updates? anything i can do to stop c drive filling up by itself? any help would be appreciated thanks

onthelimit1 08:43 08 Jul 2015

Probably automatic backups. Try using the free Windirstat which will show what is on your drive.

alanrwood 10:31 08 Jul 2015

Make sure you empty the Recycle Bin or the space remains occupied.

ened 07:19 09 Jul 2015

Make sure you are not creating an automatic Restore Point everyday.

john bunyan 08:42 09 Jul 2015

AS you have CCleaner, use the Tools , System restore, to remove all but the last couple of restore points.

sp.602 07:47 10 Jul 2015

Thank you all for the replies. I deleted old restore points,which i did'nt know occupied that much space! released more than 20 Gbs. thanks!

alanrwood 10:13 10 Jul 2015

If so then you need to reset the space available for restore points or it will just build up again.

Control Panel/System/System Protection/Configure then set the space available for each drive or disable it for your non-system drives. This may mean that your existing restore points are deleted as part of the process so make a new after this.

john bunyan 13:30 10 Jul 2015

I would only have a restore point for the C drive, if you have partitions. I assume you back up, and make images of that drive, and copies of the data, on another drive. I suggest you set the C partition space to about 12% max. It will automatically delete old restore points ones when it gets full.

sp.602 06:54 11 Jul 2015

Thanks, i have only C drive in my laptop. maximum disk space used for system image is 25%(the default setting)and current usage is about 1.2Gb. how much should i leave for restore points?

alanrwood 11:03 11 Jul 2015

I usually leave around 1.5GB. It is unlikely that you will ever need more.

john bunyan 17:15 11 Jul 2015

I would have no more than 10 to 12 % reserved for restore points. Often, if I am going to install a new programme, I create a restore point beforehand - then , if there is a snag, it is easier than uninstalling.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?