C Drive FAT 32 to NTFS

Jake_027 16:41 05 Jan 2007

Hi,

I have just got an new acer laptop and by searching the forum I managed to convert the D:/ Drive to NTFS. However, I would like to do te same for C:/ as I tried but it siad something along the lines of "The C drive is not excluvely available for use and is in use by other processes". I need to change it so I can use sharing folders in windows live messenger and FAT32 does not support this. Is there a way similar to using the CONVERT C:/ fs:ntfs in command prompt to do this without losing the data or damaging system files (I have burned recovery discs if the worst happens!). There are two partitions C:/ (ACER) and D:/ (ACERDATA). D has been converted successfully.

Thanks

Jake

VoG II 16:43 05 Jan 2007
  theDarkness 16:48 05 Jan 2007

i may be wrong but i thought that you would need to reinstall windows entirely if u wanted to convert the same drive to ntfs. i think most copies of Windows XP will format your hard drive to NTFS by default, and give you the option on reinstallation. backup all your important doc files first though

Jake_027 16:48 05 Jan 2007

Just before I start-can I use my acer recovery CD's to restore windows should anything go really badly wrong? (I hope it doesn't!). My personal data is on an external hard drive so thats ok.

Thanks again

Jake

theDarkness 16:50 05 Jan 2007

oo i was wrong :) but id still backup!

VoG II 16:50 05 Jan 2007

Yes you can but nothing should go wrong. I've done this in the past with no problem apart from the worrying 'Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)'.

Jake_027 16:53 05 Jan 2007

I'll do it now and if I'm back on later you know it's worked! If not I have my desktop for backup. Drive C: recovery discs were burnt yesterday (laptop only 1 day old so nothing major changed) and Drive D is on the desktop PC and a WD Mybook.

Will check as resolved when conversion complete.

Thanks again.

Jake

Jake_027 17:06 05 Jan 2007

Dead easy with no problems-thanks to all involved!
Will now tick as resolved.

Jake

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?