C drive conking out - need to transfer Vista

sedacca 11:18 14 Jan 2010

Can anyone help me on this please? My C drive is conking out but the machine is out of warranty. Can I transfer my Windows system over to another drive if I haven't got the install disk or licence number? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

OTT_B 11:33 14 Jan 2010

"Can I transfer my Windows system over to another drive if I haven't got the install disk or licence number?"

No, is the simple answer. Although the chances are that you have got a valid license (you usually know if you haven't!). Check the case of your PC for a green sticker with the code on it.

Your PC manufacturer should be able to supply you with a restore disc. If they can't then Microsoft can, for a fee of around £15.

What make / model of PC is it?

OTT_B 11:34 14 Jan 2010

Actually, thinking about it, drive cloning software should work for you, assuming your existing drive has enough life let in it.

Check Acronis True Image 2010.

sedacca 11:55 14 Jan 2010

Thanks OTT_B. I see Amazon is selling it for under £20 including delivery, so I'll go for it and let you know how I get on. Till later!

MAJ 12:03 14 Jan 2010

You should also run "Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder" click here on the laptop, it will retrieve the Windows product code for you.

MAJ 12:04 14 Jan 2010

laptop..... should read... computer

BRYNIT 12:18 14 Jan 2010

You could also try Easeuse Todo backup (free) click here

sedacca 12:53 14 Jan 2010

Wow, thanks you guys! I've also seen Symantec Norton Ghost 14 on eBay for £9 delivered. Is it any good? Is Acronis any better?

Quiller. 13:20 14 Jan 2010

of the drive you wish to clone over to. You should find free software and instructions to clone the old drive over to the new drive.

e.g. look under data migration on disk wizard click here

scotty 14:32 14 Jan 2010

I used the method described on this site to upgrade to a larger harddrive - click here

It was quick, used free software and worked without problem. Just make sure you pay attention to the warnings (red font used).

sedacca 10:54 15 Jan 2010

Thanks Dick, I've downloaded Seagate's DiscWizard and this looks particularly promising because it effectively endorses Acronis. I will report back here on my experience.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017