Bypass Windows Vista Password

Noldi 16:44 17 Aug 2008

Hi my Daughter purchased a computer with Vista pre installed and set it up her self. Now she has forgotten the password to the administrator account. You cannot remove the Norton that has expired or install AVG if you are not logged into Admin account. She seems to have no Windows disc just 2 empty CDs that I think she should have made a boot disk at the beginning. Tried starting in safe mode but does not seem to be a way in. I have noticed software you can purchase to reset the password but is there another way in that is known to work.

Noldi

MAT ALAN 16:50 17 Aug 2008

click here

this may help.if it does WRITE YOUR PASSWORD DOWN!!!

Sparkly 16:51 17 Aug 2008

Dont know if this will help

click here
You might find something here

click here

ventanas 16:52 17 Aug 2008

I don't think this is right. There is no administrator account in Vista, it is disabled by default. It can be enabled, but this is not straightforward. So it is unlikely that there is a password.
But I would first ascertain whether or not the adnin account was enabled. If not then your daughter is using an administrator account which runs by default as a standard user. If admin rights are required right click the file you are trying to evoke and choose Run as Administrator from the drop down. You should be ok then.

Noldi 17:18 17 Aug 2008

Cheers I will look at that but it could be a couple of days before I get chance, as for account type I don’t know its only when you try to install or uninstall etc it asks for a password, the second account she now uses has no password to access so I presume its referring to the first account that she set up, because it requires the password that is the admit account. I use XP at work and home and have not used Vista.

I will tell her to write it down but she tells me she had the same pass word for her mobile which she changed then when she came to use the computer again it was forgotten.

Noldi

Noldi 12:45 01 Oct 2009

Just to close this post.

My local PC repair shop reset the pass word for 20 pounds. I think you need a software to bypass its not possible any other way. unless you have a backup - boot DVD.

Noldi

sophiaolia 07:03 22 Apr 2011

You can try to reset the password in Vista with command prompt. 1. Press F8 to enter Advanced Boot Options just before the Windows loading screen appears. 2. Choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt. 3. Log in with an administrator account when you can see the log on screen. 4. Type net user in the command prompt and then hit Enter. All the Windows account user names will be listed for you. 5. Type net user Helen 123 and hit Enter. ‘Helen’ is your locked Windows account user name. And ‘123’ is the new password you want to reset for the account. If you cannot enter the safe mode, I’m afraid you have to create a password reset disk with a CD or USB drive as follows. Otherwise, reinstallation will be your only choice. Step 1: Download and install Windows Password Reset Tool from http://www.windowspasswordreset.net in any computer from its official site

Step 2: Use CD/DVD/USB drive to create a password disk via the program. Step 3: Boot your locked computer from CD/DVD or USB Step 4: Reset Windows password with the burned CD/DVD or USB flash drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?