B*****y Word

lermontov 14:36 25 Jun 2005

Here's my problem: when I installed Open Office 1.4 on my laptop, due to my existing copy of Word being corruputed (and ME OS not supporting Word 2003) all was fine. Open Office worked without a hitch on Word docs. However, trying to open an Open Office doc with Word on a different PC with Word 2003 on it requires a 'converter' Word informed me. It was duly installed and every option causes gobbledegook. It even suggests the most compatible default is Japanese!

It was from this little hitch (leading on from that system restore which hung half way through) that my entire desktop crashed (something that still hasn't been resolved - an 'improperly dismounted partition' for which no real solution has been forthcoming from the other thread I posted here, sadly. And no software seems to be able to correct. It must be rescued and not given an overwrite reinstall because the files are irreplacable.)

Back to the laptop: not only will Word (I'm using 2002 on the laptop now) not open Open Office docs it will not open Word docs anymore, even though they say they are Word docs. The converter option is utterly useless.

What is the conflict between these Word docs.? Has Open Office somehow 'muddied' the file description and now even if they are Word docs with Word doc icons on them they still can't be found.

Or is it inbuilt mealy mouthed Micrsoft policy again, making it so that any cross-compatibility will not be made easy for errant computer users who don't buy Bill's stuff?

Up to the point at which I tried to open a brand new Open Office 1.4 doc from my laptop onto my desktop with Word 2003 there were no problems. I could switch and edit between the two with ease with my USB flash drive.

Will uninstalling Open Office from my laptop solve the problem?

howard60 14:40 25 Jun 2005

try renaming normal.dot to old and restarting word. It will make a new normal.dot and all may now work.

lermontov 19:45 25 Jun 2005

I'm sorry but I've no idea what that means! Rename it where and how?

iambeavis 20:36 25 Jun 2005

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?