Buzzing speakers,

troydi 01:14 25 Jan 2003

I have a set of Mercury SW 980 R speakers, 2.1, and I have noticed that once the unit has been switched on for a while it starts making a buzzing noise in one of the speakers, which keeps getting louder. The speakers are connected to the base unit using just speaker wires, and it is definitely if I insert them into a certain set if holes that they do it. However, as I have only 2 sets of holes, if I don't connect them to that 'buzzing' set, I'm left with only one speaker. I think it's something to do with the psu, but not sure. I've had a quick look inside, but there's nothing I can see that's an obvious problem. Any ideas on what to do about it? Or is it a lost cause?

Djohn 01:33 25 Jan 2003

troydi, by 2.1, I assume you have a sub-woofer with your stereo speakers.

Cables should be colour coded to rear of PC unit and be marked with a small Icon as well. Is the buzzing coming from one of the stereo speakers or the base unit? Have you double checked you have them plugged into the correct holes?

One of the units will have controls on it, this will have the amplifier/transformer inside and maybe it is this causing the buzz.

troydi 01:37 25 Jan 2003

It's coming from the base unit, the connection from pc to the sub is simple enough, and the wires are in the correct holes. They were colour coded black and red. I'm not sure what to do about it.

obbit 01:37 25 Jan 2003

I agree Djohn......... usually buzzing from any sound equipment is mains hum

obbit

troydi 01:39 25 Jan 2003

Hmm, I think it is the mains power, but it really comes through one of the speakers, and I don't know why, or if there is a way to shield that noise. After an hour or so, it gets really loud and interferes with whatever I'm listening to.

DieSse 02:04 25 Jan 2003

an you try some other spaekers, or headphones, just to prove it's the l/s at fault, and not the sound card.

It may be just a bad connection on one or other of the plugs (they're never very good, mini-jackplugs) - but more than possible it's a fualt in the amplifier which is in the main speaker (the one with the volume control).

PS - also try wiggling the volume control, in case it's dirty, and switching all the switches on the speakers, in case of poor contacts.

Seadog 09:36 25 Jan 2003

I agree that this sounds like a mains "loop" hum.
I had it with a stereo music system (Hi-Fi) unit,
it was traced to the turntable - this is earthed through the connections to the other components, as well as through the power supply lead. Simply disconnecting the earth lead in the power supply cured the problem.

You may be experiencing a similar problem with a "loop" being made from your speakers through to the main chassis of your computer. Temporarily disconnecting the earth on your speaker power supply will show straight away if this is your problem, or, if there is no earth to your speaker system, the hum may be caused by an insulation fault in your speaker system earthing itself through to your computer chassis.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?