Buzzing sound from speakers after connecting to ho

Darthchaffinch 18:55 07 Jun 2008

Just hooked up to BT home hub via ethernet cable but now have a buzz-buzz sound constantly from speakers?!? It's at the same volume regardless of sound volume>> Have a Dell 5150 deshtop with creative 5.1 speakers, have never had this problem before!

Any ideas pls??

Graham. 19:18 07 Jun 2008

You have an earth loop. If you unplug the ethernet cable at the hub, it should stop.

Darthchaffinch 19:29 07 Jun 2008

Thanks Graham, removing the cable makes it go much quieter (it's barely audible now), any ideas on how to fix it so I can use the internet though?!?

The hub is attached to the phone socket in another room via a ~10m phone extension lead if that makes any difference? Also I'm using a BT-supplied DSL filter instead of the ADSL one I was using before BT broadband with no probs.

Thanks

Technotiger 19:44 07 Jun 2008

Try your original filter, the bt one might be faulty, it does happen.

Darthchaffinch 19:51 07 Jun 2008

Thanks.
Tried changing the filter back, no joy. The buzz is now very faint after trying Graham's suggestion (i.e. it's not going to drive me nuts!), the weird thing is that the faint buzz is still there even with the hub and phone disconnected from the phone line??

Shall I disconnect the bellwire at the master socket??

Technotiger 19:55 07 Jun 2008

So it does not look as if the hub or its related items is the culprit. I am not a telephone engr so can't advise on that side.

The extension lead though should not make any difference, I have a long extension lead on my own setup with no problems.

Technotiger 19:57 07 Jun 2008

I assume you do have a filter on each telephone, if you have more than one?

Darthchaffinch 21:25 07 Jun 2008

Thanks Technotiger, I still have the an old ASDL filter on the 2nd phone, I'll go switch it.........

pete. 22:16 07 Jun 2008

is your other phone compatable with the bt hub try unpluging your second phone and see if buzzing stops

Darthchaffinch 22:20 07 Jun 2008

The phone plugged to hub is a bottom of range binatone jobby, the 2nd phone is an Amstrad Emailer (i nkow, I know!!). Will try the thanks Pete

woodchip 22:26 07 Jun 2008

move the speakers away from comp and hub

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?