Buzzing noise through speakers

The Dazza 13:02 28 Aug 2006

I have an XP machine. When I play music through the speakers from the sound card I here a high pitched buzzing sound. If I plug the speakers into the CDRW drive I have the same problem, however, when I plug the speakers into my second cd ROM drive it plays fine. Also when I plug my headphones into the sound card I still here the buzzing. Can anyone help?

Stuartli 15:22 28 Aug 2006

If your system is Enabled for Digital Playback you may still have the audio lead from one of your drives connected to onboard sound or sound card.

Also check out the Volume Control panel (double click on the Volume icon) that there is no unnecessary Muting (or Enabling!), plus the Sounds and Audio Devices configuration from Control Panel.

Stuartli 15:24 28 Aug 2006

Also ensure that you have the speakers' jackplug in the correct socket on the sound card or onboard sound (i.e. green socket).

The Dazza 16:34 28 Aug 2006

how do I find out if the system is Enabled for Digital Playback?

johndrew 16:42 28 Aug 2006

I don`t know if the noise is the same but this might help click here

johndrew 16:43 28 Aug 2006

An this it what it led from click here

The Dazza 16:53 28 Aug 2006

I have an xp disc but I don't have a recovery disk to try this theory. Is there a recovery option on the xp disk?

Stuartli 17:24 28 Aug 2006

In Windows Media Player to to Tools>Options>Devices tab>highlight your drive(s)>Enable Digital Playback.

But more often cases of this type centre around either inappropriate socket use, loose lead or cable connections or low signal levels.

I don't think that using a recovery disk will sort the problem (although, as usual, I will probably be proved wrong!)

The fact that one of your drives works OK seems to indicate that it's probably a case of not seeing the wood for the trees and eliminating possible causes should sort that out.

The Dazza 17:29 28 Aug 2006

ta mate

johndrew 19:43 28 Aug 2006

Only a Repair option. But if all else fails........

Stuartli 19:47 28 Aug 2006

If you have a proper XP CD-ROM then you could try a Repair option - this preserves your programs, applications, settings, configuration etc.

See:

click here

to save me typing it all out.

I've done it a couple of times over the past three years or so when installing new motherboards (XP doesn't always take to a new motherboard).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?