Buzz in speakers. (not vuvuzela)

gengiscant 13:00 23 Jun 2010

Another niggle when I plug my external usb external harddrive in to the PC, I can hear a buzzing sound from the speaks.
What could be the cause?

onthelimit 15:51 23 Jun 2010

If it's low pitched, it's usually mains hum if the Ext HDD is mains powered. If that's the case, it might be a dodgy earth connection - if not, a prob with capacitors. If the Ext HDD is USB powered, then I've no idea!

gengiscant 16:52 23 Jun 2010

Mains powered, so I'll have a look at the wiring.Thanks.

Diemmess 17:03 23 Jun 2010

Could be re-siting your speakers has caused electromagnetic interference from close proximity to the PC case.

You could try moving the speakers about to see if the hum becomes less or even worse.

If the hum is a harsh (what I used to think was mains hum), it might be a faulty connection between the speakers and the green 3.5 mm jack plug for the socket coloured green on the back of the PC. - try a replacement lead

Ian in Northampton 17:31 23 Jun 2010

My son had this problem, and it turned out to be as simple as the fact that the speaker cable was running at some points right alongside a power cable. Moving the speaker cable fixed it. Like onthelimit suggested, it sounds :-) like earth hum.

gengiscant 18:25 23 Jun 2010

Diemmess, the speakers are a good two feet from case and the interference only occurs when I plug the usb from external drive. Thanks.

Ian in Northampton,nice suggestion ,unfortunately the power supply is nowhere near the speaker cable.Thanks.

I'll have a look at the earth connection and try other cables.

gengiscant 19:05 23 Jun 2010

All I have done is to move the power supply cable from one socket board to another, low and behold no buzz.
So resolved and thanks all.

Diemmess 18:14 24 Jun 2010

Going back a very long time, a background hum resulted from what was then called an open grid hum or sometimes an earth loop in fancy HiFi.
Both had different causes.

I think it will be worthwhile having a look at the wiring or the physical state of the socket where it hummed.
There could be a poor earth connection with its own potential hazards.

Glad its sorted, but do check the particular socket. (Obviously, unplug the multisocket first)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?