Buying a replacement laptop battery.....

jesta 11:14 24 Feb 2008

Hey guys,
I have a Toshiba Satellite A105-S2141 which the battery is completely dead which means I can only use the laptop when its on mains. I want to buy a replacement battery but I can't seem to find an official one.The model number is PA3451U-1BRS, is it ok to buy unofficial batteries or are they dodgy and ruin the laptop? Some friends tells me buying an unofficial battery is risky and have heard of some overcharging and blowing up.

Cheers

Totally-braindead 11:32 24 Feb 2008

You may not recall but a couple of years ago some of the best known companies had to recall the original batteries as they were catching fire. One even caught fire sitting on a table in the middle of some exhibition in somewhere like Japan.

If you buy a decent make of battery then as far as I am concerned you wouldn't have a problem but I personally would not buy and use a cheap unknown make from the likes of Ebay.

You will be able to get an official battery from somewhere but its likely to be at least twice the price maybe more.

Hopefully someone who has bought replacement batteries will chip in with where they get theirs.

The Kestrel 11:34 24 Feb 2008

I haven't bought a replacement battery for a laptop, but have done so for mobile phones and digital cameras. On all occasions, I have bought compatible batteries not 'official' more expensive ones. I have never had any problem with overheating or batteries 'blowing up on me.

Try the following links and have a look at what is available:

click here

click here

click here

Belatucadrus 15:18 24 Feb 2008

click here Are also very good, I've used them at work and for my own laptop.

martjc 15:30 24 Feb 2008

Try here.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?