Buying a refurbished lap top

geek84 13:46 16 Feb 2010

I am thinking of buying a refurbished lap top. I haven't got much money to spend and the lap top that I have selected (available to buy over the internet)is in my price range.

Can you please advice what things to look for when buying a refurbished lap top? i.e. guarantee, cover, etc.

Many Thanks

johndrew 15:33 16 Feb 2010

It`s all down to what you are paying, the specification of the laptop and what you expect.

If buying from a `second user` retailer then you need to look at the new cost of the specification of what is on offer and what is being asked for the warranty on the laptop you are looking at. But you shouldn`t pay more than 50% of new price with a 6 month warranty for a very good condition unit. If buying from, say Morgan Computers, they offer good warranty, support and refund/exchange facilities.

If buying privately, you may get the unit `as seen` - this means little if from an internet source. If so the price should be much lower as there is no warranty and the condition may not be as good as you would expect.

Make certain the retailer is reputable; better to buy a legitimate product with a legal OS. This applies to a private sale or a retailer.

You may also try to find what the reason for any replacement parts was. Has it been dropped (look for damage), has it been `well used` (the case/pad/hinges may show signs of this), has it got a new battery (depending on age) and is it complete (charger, disks, etc.)

Given the price of new lower end units you may find it better value to consider one of these as they are likely to be better than buying second hand privately on the internet.

Input Overload 12:10 20 Feb 2010

You will probably find the battery is past it's best as few people seem to know how to look after a laptop battery. A pattern battery for instance for a DELL is around £40, but this can be up to £60 for some other laptops. Most sellers of used laptops only give a DOA battery warranty. This may not matter if you intend using the laptop near a mains socket.

Input Overload 12:18 20 Feb 2010

BTW Big pockets do some reasonable deals & I've bought 4 laptops from them which have all been in excellent condition, but all required replacement batteries within a few months.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?