Buying a printer for my lap top

geek84 15:18 30 Dec 2009

I am thinking of buying a printer for my lap top. Can you suggest any makes/models which would be value for money. Would it be better if I buy a 3 in 1 printer which includes printing, faxing, and copying, or shall I just buy a straight forward printer?

If I do buy a machine which includes printing, faxing, copying, would I need to connect it to a phone line for faxing purposes?

Thanks in advance.

Clapton is God 18:11 30 Dec 2009

"Can you suggest any makes/models which would be value for money"

Budget??

"would I need to connect it to a phone line for faxing purposes?

Yes.

ame 21:26 30 Dec 2009

I refer to my advice in your previous post about a new desktop - not ticked as "resolved" yet so I presume you are still buying a new desktop too?click here Kodak has, apparently, brought out a printer with cheap ink cartridge replacements but I have not made the effort yet of looking at it. Search the web. You MUST investigate running costs of any printer/all-in-one and how much cheaper compatible cartridges are before buying.

peter99co 14:26 03 Jan 2010

I use my printer attached to my PC for printing from the laptop via a wireless router network.

Is this an option you have considered?

ame 00:34 04 Jan 2010

Is fax not dead? Nearly so, and has been for last 5 years. E-mail a scanned version = fax, no?

mooly 08:08 04 Jan 2010

Depends how much you want to pay really and what you want it for and how much printing you intend to do.
Epson's generally provide superb print quality, but the original inks are outrageously priced. The only inks (non original) that I find totally trouble free are Jettecs (they are fully guaranteed too) and provide approx twice the life of originals for 2/3 cost.

It's the running costs with any printer that are the main issue. A good 3 in 1 printer should be had for under £50 retail...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?