Buying a printer

wonderwill 09:37 22 Oct 2006

I am lookig to buy a cheap printer for my student daughter. Must be cheap to run and the majority of use will be B&W for printing essay with only occasional colour use probably.

Mikè 09:43 22 Oct 2006

Buy a laser printer suggest Samsung or HP.

Then pay a friend to use their printer for the occasional colour print needed!

spuds 11:44 22 Oct 2006

If you are 'fixed' to B&W, then a budget laser printer could be the answer, but in the case of general use and student work, then a inkjet with easy replacement cartridges will be the most suitable and ideal unit.

Most inkjets are very good and reliable, and the price ranges can vary from £9.99 (Dell clearance) to over the £100.00 mark. An Epson for about £50/£60 should cover all needs, with cheap cartridge replacements (4 tanks instead of 2). For a little more, your could buy a multifunction 3/4 in 1 printer.

Totally-braindead 12:01 22 Oct 2006

Agree with spuds, Epson are one of the cheapest to run with cheap compatibles being easy to get hold of. I would personally avoid Lexmark and Dell printers(which are rebadges Lexmarks) because of the price of cartridges.
If there is a lot of text and only the occassional colour use then Mikès idea has merit as lasers are far cheaper to run than inkjets and are faster to print and tend to be quieter as well.
Either choice you should be able to get for about £50.
As examples laser click here and inkjet click here cartridges from here click here

martjc 12:02 22 Oct 2006

...good results from scan and print. Also makes an excellent photocopier.

click here

Totally-braindead 12:20 22 Oct 2006

Have to take you word for that martjc about the prints. I have the one below it the DX3800 and I find the printouts poor with regards photos as compared to my aging Epson 680.

wonderwill 12:22 22 Oct 2006

Thanks for this advice.

What is a 3/4 in 1 printer or a 3 in one printer.

Thought about the Epson R220 ?

DJ-Garry 12:28 22 Oct 2006

These print fax scan and photocopy all in one

Totally-braindead 12:31 22 Oct 2006

Good printer but its a photo printer so uses 6 cartridges instead of 4 to give better photo reproduction.
What about this click here R300 only £46 its a six colour inkjet as well.
Have to say though that if its for a student for college work either of these printers really are overkill. Cheaper to get a 4 colour printer and run that just make sure that you can get compatibles for it before you buy.

Totally-braindead 12:34 22 Oct 2006

A 3 in 1 printer is also called a multifunction device its a printer and a scanner in one and for a student may be quite useful as you can use it as a photocopier too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?