buying new pc

Lynda-449083 11:41 17 Jul 2007

i am buying a new pc & getting vista. i only really use the pc for internet browsing so all this arguing between people whether to get vista or xp doesnt really affect me. what i want to know is what anyone reccomends as a cheap reliable pc. thanks lynda

Batch 11:47 17 Jul 2007

Are you looking for a laptop or a desktop?

For a desktop, for what you say that you want to use it for, something like a basic Dell model should suffice (see very frequent ads in newspapers etc. for models starting at around £300 or so).

robbiepaul79 11:50 17 Jul 2007

click here

always a popular place to start

Lynda-449083 11:53 17 Jul 2007

its a desktop i want .. is there anything i need to make sure it has eg how much memory .. dont know much bout computers

Lynda-449083 11:59 17 Jul 2007

also i want to go to the shop to buy so i can see it first .. currys . pc world . or similar

Gongoozler 12:23 17 Jul 2007

Almost any pc will do what you want. For Vista to work reliably you should look for 1G memory. The processor won't matter, any of the curent models will be plenty fast enough. Similarly for your requirements onboard sound and graphics will be adequate. If you will be wanting to copy CDs, then look for a DVD reader drive as well as a DVD r/w drive (I doubt that there will be any CD or CD r/w drives these days). Although I don't like Packard Bell computers because they generally aren't very upgrade friendly, this won't affect you. PB computers are (or were) made by NEC for the Dixons group (including PC World) and are as good as any for reliability.
Don't skimp on the monitor. Whatever you use the computer for, a good clear monitor image is a must.
An internal card reader is useful if you have a digital camera. Unless you want to store masses of pictures or use the computer for video editing, then any size of hard drive from 160G upwards will also be adequate.
Have a look here click here and you will find plenty that will suit your purposes, or visit your local independent computer shop and talk over your requirements.

Diemmess 12:33 17 Jul 2007

If you follow robbiepaul79 to Novatech and you live near either Portishead (Bristol) or Fareham (Portsmouth) you can try before you buy.

If not, go to PC World or John Lewis, and have it demonstrated there.

John Lewis has no nonsense support and selected models only. If you are lucky you just might find what you want at a compatible price.

A lot depends on what is available to you without a major journey since you would like to see before you buy.

Some other outlets may not be all that willing to demonstrate what you want.
The gamble is always how much real support will you have if the machine misbehaves in the first year.
The firms mentioned are usually very ready to respond if you have trouble, and there are others.

Lynda-449083 12:45 17 Jul 2007

i live in cheshire .. all the info given to me has been fantastic thank you & really helpful. i will use it while buying .. what is clock speed .. any other info greatly appreciated thank you

keef66 13:19 17 Jul 2007

clock speed is the frequency at which the processor (often called the cpu) operates. It used to be the case that higher clock speed the faster the processor, but now we have dual core processors that isn't neccessarily true any more.

Sounds like the hardest thing you're going to ask your pc to do is run Windows Vista. I'd recommend the Vista Home Premium version, and if you go for that, this is the minimum spec from Microsoft's wesite

A Windows Vista Premium Ready PC includes at least:

1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor¹).

1 GB of system memory.

Support for DirectX 9 graphics with a WDDM driver, 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)², Pixel Shader 2.0 and 32 bits per pixel.

40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.

DVD-ROM Drive³.

Audio output capability.

Internet access capability.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?