Buying a new laptop

User-A78FA197-1932-4493-8DF0E29629ED22CC 09:46 10 Feb 2009

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a new laptop and I'm a bit unsure what to buy and where. Could some one advice me on this one. Thanks
I'm looking at something up to 600 pounds,
dual core processor, 2Gb - 4Gb memory, 15.4" -17" display, 256 -512 dedicated graphics .

Diodorus Siculus 10:01 10 Feb 2009

Some questions to ask yourself:

1 - what will it be used for?

2 - will you want to take it out and about? If yes, then a 17inch will be quite heavy. 3kg can be a lot to carry regularly.

Lots of similar queries: click here for a sample of those in Consumerwatch where this thread may well end up in soon :)

mooly 11:12 10 Feb 2009

I've used "Laptops Direct"... excellent service all round. Went for 17" Acer, that was over two yrs ago, it's been brilliant, gets a lot of use too.

I do play games and i need it for studies and i would not take it out very often

mooly 17:55 10 Feb 2009

You'll hear good and bad reports about all makes. Look after it, particularly with respect to overheating ie dont use it on carpets, beds, your lap !... and you shouldn't go far wrong. 2 to 4 gb is fine for Vista. Do you fill the drive up with photos and music, maybe look for a 160+ gb if you do. I would also advise if it doesn't have a proprietry backup program supplied consider Acronis true image that backs up the entire drive. It's an absolute life saver. Doesn't matter how careful you are, things happen ! Install a good security package... and don't fiddle to much.

Pineman100 18:08 10 Feb 2009

'... and don't fiddle too much.'

That should be engraved in 72-point type on every computer!

ok thanks guys I'll refraze my question on another thread

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?