Buying a new hard drive - is it that simple?

CJ_1976 19:38 02 Jan 2004

Can anyone help me? i have a packard bell iconnect 1225, with a 10gb (8.3gb available) HD, i want to upgrade to a 60/80gb HD but have been told to check that my motherboard will support this, it is a 'Houston 3 revision 4.1' according to the info i got with the pc. (i'm not an expert at this.)

Ranger 19:58 02 Jan 2004

It all depends if you're bios will support the new size if HDD tou want to put in, looking at what you have in it at the moment I have my doubts that your BIOS will, you could try the PB website click here# another thing you could do is, when your pc is booting up it will give you the name and revision no. of your Bios, which you could put into a search system and see if you can get a update for it from the manufacturers web site

howard60 20:28 02 Jan 2004

even if your bios cannot take it your pc can with a pci card which takes over from your pcs bios. I have one installed in my test pc which loads just fine. The bios cannot see anything bigger than 4GB but I have a 60GB running. The bios has to have the hard disks set to none and after the original bios test the card takes over and runs the drive. These cards cost arouund £25.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?