Buying a modem

Bald Eagle 09:19 16 Nov 2009

Trawled this site and done a fair bit of Googling and getting more confused!
Basically I want to buy a modem for use on just one computer, I do not need wireless capability either now or in the future. I'm with Talktalk and regularly get 5.0 Mb/s download speed.

I'm confused also in that prices for what basically does the same thing varies from £20 to £70+!

Any pointers gratefully recieved.
BE

Fingees 10:08 16 Nov 2009

I'm just puzzled as to why you need to change if you are already getting a high speed download.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 10:13 16 Nov 2009

Is the modem faulty? If so, why not give your ISP (TalkTalk) a ring and ask them to send you out another.

ambra4 10:33 16 Nov 2009

“I'm with Talktalk and regularly get 5.0 Mb/s download speed”

You sure that it a modem that you need or do you mean a router

If it a router to add a second computer just connecting a switch to the modem and connect all

the computer to the switch will give access to the Internet for all of the computers

D-Link 5 Port 10/100 Unmanaged Ethernet Switch

click here

woodchip 10:35 16 Nov 2009

I think TalkTalk only now send Wireless routers, they did in the past send USB modems click here

Bald Eagle 13:09 16 Nov 2009

Sorry I have confused the situation! Usually unless you put in all the info folk then say, "You haven't told us what widget etc you have". Hence I mentioned TalkTalk and the speed. It is wanted purely as a backup, because I cannot afford to wait several days whilst I buy one or convince TalkTalk to supply another one in England.

Also I can then take it to France when I'm over there for the same reason, as a backup.

Sorry for the confusion I caused!!!!

BE

ambra4 13:29 16 Nov 2009

D-Link ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem

click here

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 14:11 16 Nov 2009

click here

Would be my choice.

Bald Eagle 09:57 22 Nov 2009

Thanks, gone for the D-Link.
BE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?