Buying a laptop for business use

Chris Walton 10:14 17 Sep 2006

Can someone please tell me the spec I need to use a laptop for business use. Standard office programmes to be used plus VISIO and MS PROJECT.
I am going to be working remotely from the home and office lots so battery power, reliability and weight are all important to me?

Taff™ 11:45 17 Sep 2006

Check Battery Life before you buy. Take the claimed life and take off 20% as a rough guide. You can reckon on having to replace a battery every three years if you use the laptop every day on battery power.

Otherwise I`d say that most laptops these days will do what you have stated, even the cheap ones so start to think practically. A 15" monitor is a minimum spec and avoid a widescreen. (They`re great for DVD`s and spreadsheets but lousy for Word documents,Powerpoint etc - you keep having to scroll up and down)

I use a laptop all the time for business and you will benefit from a standard mouse and keyboard - put simply a laptop keyboard and touchpad are not the most ergonomical for prolonged use. I opt for a wireless keyboard and mouse set up - If I`m only going to use the laptop for short periods I use the laptop keyboard and a retractable mini-mouse. I don`t carry these about with me all the time, I tend to leave them where I am normally going to be based. When I do take them with me I use a small rigid framed case on wheels. Enough for laptop, Wireless KB & Mouse and plenty of room for files.

Lastly choose a laptop with plenty of RAM - minimum of 512Mb preferably 1 GB and a good speed processor. AMD Turion (?) or Pentium Centrino. I really don`t worry about the weight too much - the trolley bag sorts that out.

Taff™ 12:09 17 Sep 2006

Oh and Wi-fi is essential these days. Most of my clients have a wireless access point these days and they are quite happy to let me use it. I also use a 3G datacard for hooking up to hotspots and downloading e-mails on the move. These often come free with the laptop from certain suppliers - the datacard is expensive to use on a PAYG basis but OK for emergencies.

click here - I recommend the supplier too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone