buying a laptop advice

andydgg 00:22 18 Sep 2007

My daughter is after a laptop for her uni work. PC worlds cheapest at £289. Customer service is important to me if things go wrong, I don't want to be jumping through hoops if a software or hardware problem crops up, so I don't mind paying a little extra if I can get some kind of after sales service. I beleive Evesham.co.uk is well thought of, any advice ? cheers

Strawballs 01:45 18 Sep 2007

These have got a very good reputaion for after sales but you will have to add the price of OS.

Grantrh 09:04 18 Sep 2007

According to Which? magazine - Tosbiba laptops are very reliable.

interzone55 10:43 18 Sep 2007

I have a Toshiba laptop bought from PC World. As it's a decent, reliable laptop I haven't had cause to resort to the woeful customer service.

Steer clear of Evesham for a while, I used to work for their new owners, and let me tell you, customer service is an alien concept to these people.

Take a look at some of the laptops on offer at Tesco, they seem very good value, and Tesco seem to have good customer service, although tech support may be an issue

Strawballs 21:45 18 Sep 2007

Sorry forgot to add link click here

woodchip 21:51 18 Sep 2007

I would go Pcworld. If it goes wrong you can just take it back. I have never had any problems on that score. Just got a new Hard drive Based on the Advice I have posted you

Migwell 23:54 18 Sep 2007

Keep away from PCW we had NOTHING but TROUBLE from them. A machine my next door neighbour bought has had more parts fitted that you could shake a stick at.Sometimes the same parts fitted have then been replaced more than once and it still caused trouble. Must be over 25 attempts to date.

interzone55 09:06 19 Sep 2007

Interesting contrasts there...

I think that what you need to do with PCW is to ensure that you know what you're talking about.

If you can persuade the PCW staff that your PC/Laptop is in fact faulty you should have no problems. Just follow the golden rule, don't lose your temper.

playmofire 09:15 19 Sep 2007

My first laptop was a Toshiba Satellite and that was marvellous, but only a 30G hard disk was a limitation. I still have it and am going to try Linux on it. The Toshiba Equuim I replaced it with was not so great - e.g. keyboard changed three times in first few months. I now have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li1718 from Tesco which I'm very pleased with.

Both Toshibas I got from PCW and dealt with warranty issues direct with Toshiba with no problems on a collect and return basis. If I need repairs out of warranty, Toshiba will still do collect and return, but if you decide not to have the repair done (they give you a quote before repairing) there is a charge of £35 for collecting and returning the machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?