buying a laptop??

  postie 16:19 07 Jan 2007

I am thinking of buying a laptop in the U.S.A. and as you know it is only 110v over here, what do I need to convert it into 240v do I need a transformer or a new powerpack or do I need anything else ????\


  bremner 16:21 07 Jan 2007

It is almost certain you will need nothing. The power adapters for laptops are universal. They work with 100v and 240v.

Just check before you buy.

  interzone55 16:38 07 Jan 2007

You will just need to buy a new lead from the mains to the powerpack. Depending on the make, this could be a kettle lead, a figure of 8 lead like the ones used on radios, or a bespoke lead like Dell use. (a new lead will be much better than carting a plug converter around with you)

Regardless of power, check the keyboard. The £ sign will be missing, and in it's place will be the # sign.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone