Buying an extended warranty for my desktop pc

Abbots 12:22 05 Oct 2007

Hi there

Me again! I wonder if anyone could help with an extended warranty problem. We bought a new computer from Tesco's last weekend and was told that after 12 months we could take out an extended warranty for three years with Tesco's insurance provider. However, having rang the provider today (just to check this was the case!) they have told us that they do not provide extended warranty cover for pc's under £500. Our pc only cost £389, but Tesco's didn't tell us that we wouldn't be able to have the extended warranty at the time of buying (I believe Tesco's didn't know this!). Does anyone know of any insurance company who would offer an extended warranty, which we would purchase independently? Thanks again. The pc is an e-machine.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:29 05 Oct 2007

IMHO

Extended warrenties are rarely worth paying for,
In the case of PCs they will not cover software, only hardware failures.

The warrenty will cost more than the price of replacing the failed part.

Most PC hardware is easily changeable by yourself (maybe with a little help from this forum).

Save your money and back up your data regularly.

Taff™ 13:07 05 Oct 2007

I agree with Fruit Bat /\0/\ - Spend the money on an external USB Hard Drive for backup and a copy of Acronis True Image 10 to create them. We can help you out with the rest!

jack 13:49 05 Oct 2007

I can only add to the other posters
Extended warranty are only of benefit to the seller- seldom the buyer.
Be it a computer or a washing machine- the fee saved and invested ,will be a goodly part of the price of any repair after one year.

Abbots 14:27 05 Oct 2007

Thank you to all.

Batch 19:22 05 Oct 2007

The other thing to remember is that the PC you bought (assuming it wasn't a laptop) presumably included system unit, keyboard, mouse, monitor.

The keyboard, mouse and monitor don't in any way shape or form warrant an add-on warranty as these are simply replaced at probably LESS cost than the warranty itself (plus if they go wrong after the first 12 months they will almost certainly be even cheaper to buy than they are now).

Similary, if you've just paid £389 for a PC a complete equivalent replacement system unit will probably cost less than £200.

And, lastly, PC's are pretty reliable these days and, like many things, if they are going to fail they tend to do it in the early days. BTW, I'm typing this on a 6.5 year old PC that nothing major has failed on and the parts that did went in the first 12 months.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone