Buying a budget computer

rosie12 11:26 01 Feb 2006

Hi, I want to buy my son a computer but can only spend up to £600, I have looked at the Dell and PC world websites, are there any other online stores that I could compare prices and systems with, I believe tiny are no more?.....Thanks

HauxtonPhil 11:30 01 Feb 2006

I have just bought very cheaply from the Dell site. I have found that it is best to go to the business pages rather than Home. Admittedly yoou need to configure it yourself, and you may not get the bundled software, and you will need to select a monitor, but there are considerable savings to be had. I have bought 3 machines for clients in the last week - each of them for less than £250 (including Dell's £60 !!! delivery charge).

rosie12 11:32 01 Feb 2006

Thanks I will go back to Dell and have another look, why is it cheaper choosing the business section, and can anyone do that?....

rosie12 11:49 01 Feb 2006

Hi, I am on the Dell site and they are offering the option of the 2 drives below, I have to choose one of them. I want to be able to write/copy to dvds and CDs....so will both of these drives do this? and can you tell me the differance, obviously the 16X one must be better in some way but I dont understand how, can you advise me.....thanks

48X DVD/CDRW Combo Drive [Included in Price]
Dell Recommended
OR
16X. DVD +/- RW [add £58.75 or £1/month1]

GroupFC 12:35 01 Feb 2006

I might be wrong but as you are looking at a budget PC I suspect that the first item will only write to CDs and not DVDs (not what you want!, and I suspect that the second will do both.

Strawballs 12:37 01 Feb 2006

The top one will only write to CD's not DVD's it will only play them and the bottom one will write to both.

rosie12 12:39 01 Feb 2006

Thank you!....

wee eddie 12:54 01 Feb 2006

If not, I suggest that you deduct £100 from your budget and get your son to do the clicking.

Meantime - Purchase PCA Magazine and have a look at the websites of the PC Companies in the Top 10 Charts.

The deduction of £100 is because he will always want more than is on offer and it will give you the leeway to offer him an upgrade or some software.

Pikachu 13:03 01 Feb 2006

You would get a better PC with Dell then PC World, PC World are a little overpriced.

Mesh are also good click here

phil46 14:37 01 Feb 2006

Take a look here.click here

rosie12 18:06 01 Feb 2006

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE, I EXPECIALLY LIKE THE ADVICE TO "DEDUCT A HUNDRED POUNDS".....LOL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?