Buying Advice On Hard Drives...

Hearst555 19:20 05 Mar 2006

Hi,

I'm quite interested in getting a new higher capacity hard drive for my laptop. However, I am confused with which ones to buy. One website sells 2.5" hard drives with various interfaces such as ATA/100, ATA/133, UATA and SATA. Does it really matter which interface you choose since they all very much alike. I own a IBM Thinkpad R50e and I have no idea what hard drive interface the laptop is compatible with. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

woodchip 19:39 05 Mar 2006

Sata will not be any good unless the laptop supports it. all others are the same

Hows this for Service? never had anything like this. I Ordered a 60Gb Hitachi Hard Drive to replace my 30Gb in Laptop last night at about 4.45PM got the drive 10.00AM this Morning. Fitted and up and running including Partitioning and Installing Image File. All Done by about 12.00AM. I used Acronis Disc Director Suit 10, and Acronis True Image 9 to do the Job. Plus the Hard bit. Fiddley little screws. 8 in all to change it. 2 held the drive in the Laptop and 6 held the drive in a plastic frame with a socket adapter held in by 2 of the screws. The old drive was a 4200rpm, the New on is 7200rpm This as given the Laptop a real new Lease of life.

PS this is where I got the drive, a Hitachi TravelStar 7K100. Total Inc vat and Del £86.66

click here

Hearst555 19:49 05 Mar 2006

Currently I found out that my laptop is using a ATA/100 hard drive. So is it safe to upgrade it to a drive which supports ATA133?

woodchip 19:57 05 Mar 2006

Yes but you will waste your money as it will only work at 100

Hearst555 20:04 05 Mar 2006

OK, thanks for the advice woodchip. I appreciate your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?