Burnt out motherboards

lamby1 20:16 28 Jun 2006

Hi can anyone tell me if i replace a burntout motherboard can i still access all the data on my hard drive after i have replaced the mother board with a similar one

MAJ 20:23 28 Jun 2006

You might be able to, lamby1, it wont do any harm to try it, but it might be best to install a new hard drive as well, load on your Operating System, install the old drive and copy across your important files if the old drive hasn't been damaged.

lamby1 20:32 28 Jun 2006

Good idea i didn't think of that. How do i get the pc to recocgnise the old hard drive to transfer the files

MAJ 20:38 28 Jun 2006

It'll recognise the old hard drive automatically, if the old hard drive hasn't been killed as well, lamby1.

VoG II 20:39 28 Jun 2006

You may need to take ownership click here

MAJ 20:40 28 Jun 2006

I meant to say that the new hard drive will be the new main drive (Drive C: usually), install the old hard drive as a secondary drive ("Slave").

VoG II 20:41 28 Jun 2006

Evening MAJ, long time no see :o)

lamby1 20:42 28 Jun 2006

Thank you MAJ,so then it is just a case of copying the data straight over to the new hard drive. Thanks for your help.

MAJ 20:59 28 Jun 2006

Evening VoG™, it's good to see the old (not so old) regulars are still here. ;)

Yes lamby1, all being well with the old drive, it's just a matter of copying across from one drive to th'other. You wont be able to copy across any installed programmes like Microsoft Office etc. you'll have to reinstall those from the original CDs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Illustrator Mariana Rodrigues' beautiful flora and fauna for Bombay Sapphire gin

How to remove Mac ransomware

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?