BURNT OUT

TERCOL 17:24 23 Sep 2010

Can anyone help?. I have a Packard Bell easynote R4622 laptop with a faulty dvd burner fitted some time ago by a computer cowboy, it sticks out from the frame and invariably has to be opened with a thin wire (that is when i do manage to get It to close, )can anyone tell me what type and a number of an original writer for this type of laptop?. Iknow I can probably get an external writer but my desk Is already cluttered up with wires and things as It Is.

thanks In advance Tercol

Forum Editor 18:04 23 Sep 2010
  TERCOL 19:04 23 Sep 2010

Thanks for the quick response, i clicked on the advised link and behold it got me to more than i have been able to get after the whole of the afternoon trying to get,but being a bit thick i need a little bit more advice. clicked on link then scrolled down list of dvd writers, lot of different brands but it does not advise the correct one for my laptop, or will they all fit flush as the original one did?, or does it become a matter of take your pick and trust to luck that I have got the correct one?.
thanks again. tercol

Thanks again

johndrew 10:58 24 Sep 2010

McAfee is not happy with your link. Can you confirm it is safe/good?

onthelimit 15:49 24 Sep 2010

I accessed the link with no probs. Looks like a genuine P B site.

johndrew 20:06 24 Sep 2010

I agree the site looks OK, it is that McAfee gives it a full blown red click here albeit using an automated check.

Do you use any site regulator/advisor software?

onthelimit 10:05 25 Sep 2010

All I use is IE's phishing check + MSE. No problems for years!

johndrew 11:43 25 Sep 2010

Unfortunately, although these provide protection against identity theft and all the usual malware (in common with AVG, SuperAntispyware, Spyware Terminator and many others) they fail to assess the sites accessed in the manner of site advisors such as McAfee and WOT. These assess sites for the risks associated with visiting/downloading from specific sites which may either attempt to infect a PC or offer links which may.

I would think that most malware picked up by PCs is a result of using suspect sites and as I'm sure you are aware, some malware is very difficult to remove.

TERCOL 18:51 25 Sep 2010

I think I mentioned earlier in my post that I was a bit thick, so with all this talk about unsafe sites etc, Is whatever Is meant to be wrong something on my laptop or has my post got mixed up with someone else's post for which I do apologise, ( from reading posts from earlier dates I realise most buffs dont like interferance )so If some one can tell me If It Is my computer at fault I will try to get It sorted before I log on again and infect someon's computer, If not my comp at fault I am still open to any sugestions or answers to my original post, IE. burnt out.

tercol

johndrew 10:25 26 Sep 2010

Sorry. This is my fault.

I looked at the site link provided by the FE and my McAfee SiteAdvisor gave a red (unsafe) warning. As a result I queried the site with the FE but onthelimit responded when, apparently, not using any site checking software at all.

To make life easier, I have used WOT to check the site as well and this says it is OK. Given the McAfee warning is from an automatic assessment I would suggest there is an error and the site is likely to be good.

However for a quick answer to your question of obtaining a replacement DVD perhaps you should contact Packard Bell Technical Support click here

TERCOL 13:46 26 Sep 2010

johndrew
Thanks for putting my mind at ease regarding Infections,I have clicked on PB site and sent an e-mail so I am now waiting for reply,If no joy from them i will just have to go down the road of more clutter around my desk road and get an external drive, thanking you onc again I will now consider this post closed.
tercol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?