Burning a minidisc

Rogerfredo 16:53 05 Feb 2004

Is it possible to burn a minidisc (for use in a minidisc player) on a cd burner?
Minidisc recorders use a magnetic principal but apparently pre-recorded minidiscs use the CD method.

Mysticnas 17:45 05 Feb 2004

you see minidiscs used in minidisc players come in a cartridge that slips into the player.

And most current players can't play data files, just .wav files.

I just use the digital (optical) line to connect mine to my sound card. You can also use a line out/in too, but quality here isn't as good as optical.

Some new minidisc players have usb support.

Sony i believe are creating a 1Gb minidisc that can also be formatted in FAT32 and used as data storage. These disks are going to cost just a little more than current 80min minidiscs. They are trying meant to take over this silly surge of MP3 players.

I'm not too keen on MP3 players as 99% of them don't even concentrate on quality of playback. All they seem to be doing is catering for storage size!

I've tried a few of these MP3 players that my mates have got, from iPods to whatever... and to be turely honest you may aswell be listening to a cassette walkman from the 80's! The earphones are naff, no quality bass and trebble control etc...

OK you can buy a decent pair of earphones and use them but it's no good using £50 earphones on naff player, believe me i've tried. Ok, so i'm probably just too fussy, but if i'm going to spend around £200 on a portable music device i'd rather it was quality! I always seem to get the latest quality sound stuff i can afford. If you're going to buy a minidisc player go for sony, they really do sound much much better over their competitors and buy a pair of MDR-EX71SL earphones from you're local sony centre (probably have to order them in).

Mysticnas 17:49 05 Feb 2004

if i ranted on a bit... i just have a major dislike for MP3 players.

Rogerfredo 19:10 05 Feb 2004

Thanks for the info. Its a friend who is thinking of buying the player, and the idea of using the digital output of a sound card should be of interest to him.

Mysticnas 21:53 05 Feb 2004

well done for him not being tempted by a useless MP3 player.

I'm here if he needs anymore info...

Forgot to mention, Sony minidisc recorder/players have a long play feature, which allows you to record around 5.5hrs of quality music.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?