Burning emails and address book to cdrw

The Dazza 22:56 22 Jun 2005

I have recently got instructions on how to export (save)my inbox and address book (Outlook express v6) and how to restore them - no problem when I save to a new folder on my desktop, however, when I burn the same folder to cdrw disk and then try & do a restore from there for my emails (messages) I get "no messages can be found in this folder or another application is running that has the required files open", nothing else is open. It does restore my address book when I import that from the cdrw, so half the job is working.

The Dazza 23:13 22 Jun 2005

Just so you know, I saved the folder from my cdrw to my desktop and then did the import-this worked successfully.

nd33cfc 23:40 22 Jun 2005

Dazza, i would be very gratefull if you could inform me how to save my inbox and address book.
I use outlook express 6 also.

Kind Regards.

bswatts 21:43 04 Oct 2005

I have tried and tried to copy my address boook onto a CD so that I can transfer it to a new computer. I get a message 'Cannot Complete the CD Writing Wizard'. there is a button which says Write these files to CD now. It takes 15-20 minutes and goes back to where it started. what can I do?

MAJ 22:02 04 Oct 2005

To backup your address book, search your hard drive for a .wab file, The default location (in XP) is usually C:\Documents and Settings\your_name\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book and save that .wab file to a safe place. When you want to restore it, open OE and go to File > Import > Address Book and navigate to where you stored the backup .wab file.

To backup your emails is a little trickier because you can't just backup the inbox, you have to backup all the email files, which are .dbx files. To do that, open OE and go to Tools > Options > Maintenance tab and click on the "Store Folder" button. That will reveal the location of your Store Folder, in which all your .dbx files are stored. Go to that folder and open it, then copy **ALL** the files in that folder to a safe place. That's your emails backed up.

To restore your backed up emails, open OE and go to, Tools > Options > Maintenance tab and click the "Store Folder" button again, but this time, click the "Change" button. That will give you the opportunity to navigate to the folder into which you saved your back up files. Choose that folder and your emails will be restored.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?