Burning DVDs

manrow 22:00 28 Feb 2008

Yesterday I burnt a whole DVD which was then verified by Cyberlink POwer2Go.

But the same computer says disc (of unknown maker) is empty and my laptop says thew disk is blank! How?

manrow 22:01 28 Feb 2008

I have since filled a cd using the XP software successfully so believe the DVD play/record player is working normally?

manrow 14:57 29 Feb 2008

Does anyone else use Cyberlink Power2Go successfully?

crosstrainer 15:11 29 Feb 2008

Check the media you are using....This could also be a failing DVD drive, as they have 2 lasers and will often write a cd and not a DVD.

technochallenged 15:14 29 Feb 2008

crosstrainer...

...is there anything i can do to solve a failing DVD RW drive (what you described sounds just like whats happened to my laptop) or does it need to be fixed proffesionally??

sorry manrow for jumping in.

Cheers Guys

crosstrainer 15:17 29 Feb 2008

You shouldn't really hijack other's threads (see forum rules) but I will answer this as it's a quickie: You can't fix them, they cost about £18.00 so fit a new one:

click here

technochallenged 15:19 29 Feb 2008

Cheers, sorry and thanks again

manrow 15:25 29 Feb 2008

Thanks crosstrainer. My concern was that despite asking the laptop to verify that the recording was all okay that it then clearly wasn't!

Also interested in replacing the DVD writer if that is th problem, especially if it only costs $18 to do so. My laptop is an Advent 7111, where do I go to seek a replacement? Although the DVD drive is Phillips, do I need to seek the same brand or will any do?

crosstrainer 15:28 29 Feb 2008

Sadly, lapptops are not as easy to replace parts in as PC's...I'm afraid that if your dvd drive is faulty, you would be best advised to get a repair shop in on the act.

Before you do try a different burning package to make sure: This is free

click here

manrow 15:37 29 Feb 2008

Thanks crosstrainer about to try it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?