Burn CD from Windows media player

GBL 13:56 12 Jun 2008

I used to be able to burn the existing play list in windows media player to a CD that I could play in the car. Now for some reason it burns the cd, and oon checking it it states that it is a CD Audio Tracks of 44 bytes, this will not play on any other machine. I have loads of coasters now. What has happened??

recap 14:16 12 Jun 2008

If you burn a data CD with music files and it does not play in your portable, home, or car CD player, check the following:

Your CD player may not support playback of data CDs. Refer to the CD player's documentation for details.

The CD might be burned onto media, such as CD-RW, that is not compatible with the CD player. Refer to the CD player's documentation for details.

Your CD player may not support playback of the type of music files burned on the disc (WMA or MP3). Refer to the CD player's documentation for details.

The songs might be protected with media usage rights. Other computers may be able to aquire usage rights and play the songs if they have a connection to the Internet, but devices such as portable CD players and car stereos will not be able to acquire those rights, so protected content will be unplayable.

The CD might not have been closed when it was burned. Usually you can resolve this problem by adding more songs to the burn list so you are close to the maximum capacity of the CD. Then, try burning the list again to a new CD.

GBL 14:25 12 Jun 2008

I understand what you have said, but what I used to do was to select the MP3 files I wanted, played them with Windows Media player and selected burn CD and burn now playing. All used to work fine but not any more, I assume that there has been an update from MS.
I now have to use Nero to do what was a simple task.

Terry Brown 14:32 12 Jun 2008

From media player select the music files you want, select copy to CD or Device, then click on copy(usually right top side of screen). This will convert the music to audio files and burn to the CD, which should play on any audio player.
Terry

Stuartli 15:24 12 Jun 2008

Check that the drive is still Enabled for CD Recording (My Computer>right click on optical drive>Properties>Recording tab)

GBL 21:43 12 Jun 2008

I think you misunderstand me, I do all what you have said but instead of the recording being in a readable format for any CD player they come out as "CD Audio Tracks". I am talking about Windows Media Player, which until recently used to convert the files and record them correctly. I can only keep repeating it no longer does that, hence my question, why??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?