Bunch of recent problems started abruptly

yhtz 07:25 28 Mar 2014

A few days ago I started having a few problems with my PC: 1) My PC randomly loses connection with the internet and won't regain connectivity until a reboot. 2) My keyboard will stop responding and none of the keys will work anymore. This happens even on a startup sometimes. 3) I've had a few BSOD's (Blue Screen of Death). I was thinking that my motherboard is dying/failing being that all of the issues are with different components. Anyone have any thoughts?

lotvic 18:18 28 Mar 2014

"This happens even on a startup sometimes" sounds like a hardware issue then.

With the power off and unplugged from wall socket: First thing to do is to make sure you haven't got any loose cables as this can cause the symptoms you describe. Make sure the keyboard and mouse and all other cables on back of pc are plugged in tightly. If they are okay and you still get same problems open the tower up and check all the cables inside. Take out and reseat (put back in again) the RAM modules etc.

lotvic 18:23 28 Mar 2014

After you unplug pc from mains, hold in the power button for 30 secs to clear the residual current so you don't short mobo out, and clean out the dust and fluff whilst you have the side off and no power :)

Make sure the fans are running by powering up with the side off the tower and looking at them - don't touch anything when you do this (unless you want to cause damage and give yourself an electric shock. Don't be tempted to touch the fans - just observe :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?