Bullguard versus Avast

Glen 17:09 25 Jan 2011

I have been running Bullguard AV for 2 years and am about to renew the subscription, and it seems OK. My wife's mini laptop (11.6") has no DVD drive, and is running the free version of Avast, apparently successfully. The local computer shop claims that Avast has not kept up to date, and is no longer good enough. He was quite scathing about it. I can buy a special version of Bullguard for my wife, using a small pen-drive instead of a CD.
I would welcome opinions about the quality of AVAST. Is it really below par nowadays.

Glen

john bunyan 17:16 25 Jan 2011

About 3 years ago I had Bullguard, but still somehow got a bad virus. Since switching to W7 I have used (Free) Avira as Anti Virus, with Superantispyware , Malawarebytes and Spywareblaster as anti malware amd PCTools (Free) firewall. I have had no major problems, but also regularly make an ATI clone and an image of my HD on seperate HD's. This was useful when a "nasty" somehow disabled Malawarebytes and SAS.

Belatucadrus 17:38 25 Jan 2011

avast! is as good as most AV products and has kept my PCs safe for years. The comment that "Avast has not kept up to date" just isn't true, it hasn't failed a VirusBulletin VB100 test for two years, the latest version has never failed. I suspect you met somebody hoping to sell you a replacement.
It is however worth checking that you're running the latest version which is Version 5.0.

rawprawn 17:40 25 Jan 2011

I use Avast Free version,and Windows 7 Firewall. No problems.
I have tried the paid for versions of Karspersky Security Suite (free Barclays online) and MacAfee (free HSBC Online)I am very happy with Avast and Windows 7 firewall. Much lighter, and I think as effective.

cocteau48 17:41 25 Jan 2011

I can only echo john bunyan's post,almost to the letter.

I ran Bullguard Security Suite for 12 months and it did not stop or detect a virus which completely disabled my system. Everything which I clicked on produced the same pop-up telling that I was infected and must download their software to clear it.

Restoring an Acronis image using the Acronis boot disk restored the status quo ...... but all in all not a good endorsement for Bullguard.

I have now been running Avast for the past three months and am very,very impressed with it.

robin_x 19:58 25 Jan 2011

I have used Avira for some years and won't change.
Microsoft Security Essential (MSE) is widely praised too.

I never hear of problems of interference to the system of the free AVs compared to many horror stories of paid for apps.

And anyway, why pay? If Avast is a little bit below par this year, the others aren't.

Nice easy to access rescue CD .iso from Avira, updated daily, for those that are interested.

click here

Belatucadrus 20:31 25 Jan 2011

"the latest version which is Version 5.0"

Now incorrect, new updated version is 5.1

woodchip 21:25 25 Jan 2011

I use Free Avast on all my Personal Computers without any problems two Desktops two Laptops and a Netbook

woodchip 21:26 25 Jan 2011

You have to re-register it every year to get updates

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?