BullGuard and new pc

Sean_cool 16:08 20 Aug 2008

I'm waiting for my new PC to arrive next week via Cougar Extreme after my old one decided to blow up !!
I still have a year left on my BullGuard subscription and contacted Bullguard to ask how to re-install their system onto my new PC. They kindly sent me a email with this information on.

My new pc will be running Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premiem (OEM). I've always used XP in the past, so this will be somewhat of a new adventure for me, and I was informed that i should disable Vista Windows Firewall, Windows Defender and the Windows UAC prior to installing BullGuard. It is also recommended you keep these disabled while BullGuard continues to protect my computer, Could someone let me know where to find these programs and how to disable them please. Also, what does UAC stand for?

Next Q
Is there any other systems that could be recommended to me to run alongside BullGuard?

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Cool

DippyGirl 16:54 20 Aug 2008

I dont know about what BullGuard provides but I have a PC with Vista HP on - I run AVG V8 (you cant have 2 AV progs) & ZoneAlarm
I have Windows Firewall disabled but Defender enabled
I also switched UAC (User Account Control) off its a royal p i t a - I know you can work around it but, but it drove me mad
Also run ad-aware superAntispyware MalwareBytes and spybot S&D regularly (paranoid or what)
Use CCleaner as part of housekeeping
To date I have been healthy (lucky?)

DippyGirl 16:57 20 Aug 2008

Control Panel > Security Centre
Also Microsoft advice is to leave UAC on - its there for your protection

Pine Man 19:12 20 Aug 2008

I have used Bullguard with Vista and it's very good indeed. However it is a bit temperamental and you should certainly disable the programs you were told to before installation BUT their is no problem at all in enabling UAC after the installation - if you want to.

Sean_cool 16:00 21 Aug 2008

Thanks for all your pointers, much appreciated.

Sean

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?