Built My Own Computer - Having Trouble

B33J 14:19 23 Oct 2005

I have recently built my own computer and when I started it up once I had finished I ran the system BIOS but it could not find any of my IDE devices, which I know are in there. Is there anything I should be doing to make sure they are found, or will it be in my best interest to take it to someone to try and sort it out for me?

Many thanks.

CLONNEN 14:29 23 Oct 2005

What IDE devices have you got attached to the IDE cables and what is each configured as (master, slave etc.). Is the hard drive already formatted or is it brand new? If it is new it may need to be formatted before the computer will be able to see it.

DieSse 14:40 23 Oct 2005

It doesn't need to be formetted for the BIOS to see it (that would be a ctach-22 wouldn't it!)

Make sure the IDE cables are fitted correctly.

The end with the longest gap to the centre goes in the motherboard (often a blue connector) - the other end to the hard drive. The edge with the red stripe must be next to the power connector on the drive. It should be keyed so that you can't fit it the wrong way round in the motherboard, but check carefully wth the manual. The red tripe edge is where pin1 on the cable is.

Make sure the drive jumper is set correctly

- either to Master - or to Cable Select. For Cable select it MUST be on the last connector on the cable to be seen as the Master. If there's only one drive on the cable, it must be on the end connector anyway.

Make sure the BIOS is set to AUTO detect your drives.

Try it with only the hard drive connected, not the optical drives.

Try another cable.

woodchip 14:52 23 Oct 2005

I have an IDEA that they are Sata drives, there seems to be more probs with those of late

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?