building a website from scratch help needed

bulb182 00:54 03 May 2007

hi can anyone help me i want to build a website for my local football team but i havent got a clue where start, if someone could point me in the right direction i would be very grateful.

woowoowoo 09:10 03 May 2007

Hi Bulb I did made my first website at office live click here
I found it easy to use and the basic version is free. You also get your own domain name.
I had no knowledge of webdesign to start with, but have learnt as I went along.

I made this site click here

setecio 17:10 06 May 2007

Buy this months PC Pro for £4.99 and get a free copy of NetObjects Fusion 9 on the DVD

Griffon 18:41 06 May 2007

You have lots of very good options for setting up your own website and a few pitfalls to trip over too if you get it wrong.

If you wanted to do something really quickly you could set up a blog with blogger.com. With this you can immediately post photos of the club/matches whatever + info about the club, fixtures etc. Even if you build a site later you can use the blog as a latest news page and link to it from your site.

I think the first thing to realise is that there is a learning curve to go up initially. How far you go up the curve is up to you but it's worth spending a little time before you get started by browsing around and looking at the free information that's out there on the net.

Type something like "tutorials on how to build a website" in google and you'll fing loads of free information. Remember though lots of these sites are trying to sell you something like domain names or hosting so don't sign up to the first one you find. There are bound to be better deals out there.

Get yourself a good domain name. You can do this at sites like virtualnames.co.uk but there are loads of domain name registras out there. Make sure that 1. you own the domain, not the site you buy it from; 2. that you're not locking yourself into buying hosting at $x per month; 3. you can easily transfer the domain out to another host if you want to; 4. you can set up the domain to point to your free webspace on your ISP - if you're gonna use this space. I buy hosting for sites at less than £24 per year vat inc. so if you're paying for hosting, don't pay more than that.

For easy site build you'll probably want "what you see is what you get" WYSIWYG web page software. Most of us oldies learnt web design programming in HTML and although it's useful to know how this works, it's really not a requirement with today's software. The best is Dreamweaver but it's very expensive. Personally I hate microsoft's front page which I think is a complete pile of expansive poo at £170, or whatever they rob you for it now.

I hear good things about serif's pageplus which you can download a free demo version at click here I notice they also have a really full free tutorial on building sites and how to use their software so that might be worth checking out.

...and there's always this forum site for help too

:-)

Madala 11:31 14 May 2007

For a simple website like a maximum 2 pages I could help you designing the initial site free of charge but with conditions that you must host the page at the following host company:

click here

You will be amazed with the prices that includes free domain name for long limited time.
Post here if you agree and we will make contact.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?