Building a website

alexgray104 17:43 19 Nov 2004

I plan to build a website for my friends business. I have created some ideas of what I want it to look like in Ms Frontpage, but how do I publish it! It has graphics and writing and has about 10 pages. Any help gratefully recieved!

Charence 23:12 19 Nov 2004

Check that your host supports FrontPage Extensions. Then click on the Publish button in File menu. Your host should provide you with details of how to connect.

You could also use a FTP program if your host does not support FrontPage. But you must check that your host supports FTP transfer.

Charence

Taran 09:56 20 Nov 2004

You can publish your site from FrontPage regardless of whether the web host supports FrontPage server extensions. You get around this by turning support for them off in your web options in FrontPage, which basically means that when you publish from the File menu, as outlined by Charence, FrontPage acts as an FTP client and publishes your site anyway.

You need your domain name/ftp address, your user name and password. FrontPage will do the rest for you.

Don't mix and match FTP and FrontPage publishing on the same site. If you publish with FrontPage, stick with it in the future if you can. Using a third party FTP client after FrontPage will alter the folder permissions in the web root folder and prevent you from publishing from FrontPage again, so unless you are certain that you want to move off FrontPage to another web authoring tool and FTP to publish your results, just stay with the File, Publish menu options.

Forum Editor 19:09 20 Nov 2004

from Charence and Taran.

Taran's comments about mixing FP with any other FTP client is particularly helpful - so many people come a cropper over this, and don't realise why they suddenly can't FTP from FrontPage after using another FTP program.

Another pointer worth remembering is that if your host server has the Frontpage extensions installed you will not be able to access the web space with an FTP program - the extensions must be turned off before you'll be able to get in via FTP. If for any reason the FP extensions are turned off, or have to be reinstalled or configured, you'll suddenly find that your site stops working - at least any Frontpage components like hover buttons will have stopped - they simply won't be there. If this happens (it probably won't), don't panic. Simply upload the whole site again via FP and all will be well.

pmorff 01:23 06 Apr 2005

I use Dreamweaver to design my websites but to publish them I use the Ipswich FTP pro software.
I would highly recommend this software which lets you click and drag single files or whole folders to the webhosting server.
Once the files are on the web hosting server you can click on a file and delete it or rename it, if you need to.
The general appearance of the software is very similar to the Windows explorer window

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache