Building a Small & Simple Site - Advice Needed.

alexgray104 14:49 26 Dec 2006

Good Morning.

A friend has asked me to build him a small website to promote his business. He build's coachbuilt motorhomes. I have never had any experience of building a site before - beyond Freewebs easy-maker thingy that is!!

So, I need some help! I have built the basic site in FrontPage, firstly because it was relatively simple to use and secondly because I didn't have anything else to use. It only has six pages: Home, About Us, Construction, Examples, Pricing and Options, Contact. Should I put in a flash homepage? I think a flash would look okay but I'm worried about people with older computers not being able to display it.
Also how would I get it listed into Google and stuff like that.
I think I have hosting & domain pretty much sorted so at least thats one thing!

Cheers

Alex

alexgray104 18:22 26 Dec 2006

Sorry Forum Member,

I am in the U.K - What with it being christmas yesterday I didn't get up till late and my body was telling me it was morning, didn't look at the time. I am in the U.K and it is a .co.uk domain. Thanks for the advice. :)

Forum Editor 23:39 26 Dec 2006

you have already been given with regard to Flash pages. Flash homepages deter visitors, who can't be bothered to wait for the loading time, and who find such things a little pretentious.

As fourm member says, there was a time when no self-respecting site was without its Flash preloader and homepage animation. Some sites were designed completely in Flash - I did a few myself - but they were a pain to update, and people simply turned away when they saw how long everything took to load.

Now the market demands quick, clean sites, with a minimum of fuss. Visitors appreciate well-designed navigation systems, and clean, fast-loading sites with plenty of imagery.

alexgray104 23:54 26 Dec 2006

Thanx for the advice, its very helpful. I was going to put a flash in - but I'm not going to bother now.

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?