Building a PC from scratch.

Bob The Blob 18:10 12 Jul 2009

Hi
I'd like to build my next PC from scratch.
I've looked at Novatech and Overclockers and they seem to be good places to buy all the bits and pieces from. I'll try ebay for a gfx card and soundcard but otherwise I'd prefer to buy the rest of the kit new.
Are there any other places I should be looking?
And maybe any advice before I get started?
Thanks

crosstrainer 18:37 12 Jul 2009

Why ruin a newbie for a second hand GPU?

Use the same sit to get the best you can afford (go for one of the Quad core bundle) and an 8800GTX or similar.

I have a spare card if you are short of cash..Yellow envelope.

Geeksy 19:11 12 Jul 2009

Hello,
You could also try CCL Online (click here).

Also I would look at the ATi cards as they seem to have the edge on the nVidia for preformance on price.

What are you looking to ue the PC for?

What is you're budget for the build and what do you need extra? ie mouse, screen, keybored etc

Adam

OTT_Buzzard 19:25 12 Jul 2009

As Geeksy has said, before you start building you need to know exactly what you want to use the PC for. Then define what hardware is suited to your requirements and build the rest of the PC spec based around that.

If overclocking is something that you want to do then think carefully about the cooling solution that you use and the your motherboard choice. It's well worth doing since it's a cheap (not free) performance boost if you do it right.

Bob The Blob 21:02 12 Jul 2009

As it's my first build I'll start easy. The PC will just be used for general office use and the internet. Budget will be £250 ish on just the system box. Keyboard, mouse and monitor not needed.
I was thinking of starting with a barebones system and taking it from there or would it be cheaper to do the whole thing myself?
Thanks for the link to cclonline geeksy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?