Building a pc

acceptmyname 14:50 03 Apr 2007

I am interested in building my own pc as a hobby and I would just like to ask does anybody know of any good websites that sell the component that I would need at reasonable price. I have been on novatech and that seems good but is there any more

Diodorus Siculus 15:06 03 Apr 2007

Novatech as you suggest; I use them most of the time.

Scan.co.uk are also very good but I have free delivery from them so use them also.

Many here use ebuyer with positive experiences.

Pamy 15:07 03 Apr 2007
  Totally-braindead 15:16 03 Apr 2007

Firstly let me say that building your own computer is more expensive nowadays than buying a prebuilt system. But there is a plus side. For one thing it can be great fun and as well as that if you build your own when something fails you are much more confident about replacing a faulty bit.
My advice for what its worth. The main problem with choosing components is ensuring they are compatible. And by this I mean the motherboard, the processor and the memory. They must be compatible with each other. If you have problems with this then you can't go far wrong buying a motherboard bundle, the processor is fitted and it comes with the correct memory.

My favourite suppliers are Novatech, Dabs, Komplett, Scan and Overclockers.
Novatech are by far the best of any company I have ever dealt with. Their after sales service is second to none.

If you do decide not to buy a motherboard bundle then I recommend Crucial for the memory as providing you tell them what motherboard you have they guarantee to provide the correct memory.

acceptmyname 15:27 03 Apr 2007

Thanks guys

Totally braindead

how much do you think I should spend on my motherboard bundle I shud go for

Totally-braindead 18:23 03 Apr 2007

Depends what you want to use it for.

Of the ones Novatech are doing this one is pretty good click here I would buy a PCI Express card personally and not rely on the onboard graphics. Got more money get a faster chip with more memory click here

Legolas 18:46 03 Apr 2007

I would recommend that the one thing you do not scrimp on is memory.

Go for crucial memory it might be a bit dearer but it is well worth it.

Most of the trouble I have had when building a system is cheap memory being incompatable and stopping the system from booting up.

Building a system is as said not cheaper now than buying ready built but it is good fun although it can be frustrating but a great way to learn never-the-less, go for it.

User-312386 18:56 03 Apr 2007

I to would go for novatech equipment. However, i would but a core2duo spec rather than Intel Dual Core

click here

MAJ 19:02 03 Apr 2007

Poooh, why skimp if you're loaded. click here

I love spending OP's money, lol. :)

woody 19:41 03 Apr 2007

MAJ

Does this allow two PCIx16 graphic cards?For three or four monitors.
"Graphics 1 x PCI Express x16
Expansion Slots 2 x PCI Express x16, 2 x PCI Express x1, 2 x PCI "
I do not understand why they have put graph 1 -PCI 16 and then expan 2 -PCI 16 cards.
Hope you do not mind me coming in.

acceptmyname 23:27 03 Apr 2007

Thanks everyone for repling I cant wait to get started on this hobby

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?