Building A New High Spec Computer - Opinions Pls

Phil930 03:13 09 Aug 2005

As the title states I am building a new computer for a friend who demanded high specification on a very flexible budget. I am currently in the USA and will be buying all parts from Newegg for an American friend. However, I wanted the opinion of this educated forum.

Here are the items under consideration:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego click here.
Asus ASUS A8N-SLI Premium click here.
Corsair XMS 2Gb (2x1Gb) TwinX 2048-3200 C2PT click here.
XFX 7800GTX click here.
2x WD Cavier SE WD800JD 80Gb 8Mb Cache click here.
2x Pioneer DVR 109 click here.
Sony Black 1.44 Floppy click here.
ePower TAGAN TG 480-U22 ATX 480W click here.
Antec Solution SLK3000 ATX Mid Tower click here.
Windows XP Home click here.

All of this will cost roughly $1770 including shipping (about £1000).

I was curious as to the compatibility of this system? I opted for one 7800GTX at the moment with the option to go SLI with two of these in the future over 2 6600GT's or similar. Disregarding SLI future option I could go for the Asus A8N E board.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
(I am not interested in switching to Intel).

vinnyT 09:53 09 Aug 2005

If the budget is flexible, you/he may prefer one of the dual-core amd x2 cpus, although he could upgrade to this later as the mobo will support these chips, these allow the user to say, play a game while at the same time ripping a cd.

Unless he is pretty sure about using the sli option later this is a waste and the money saved could be spent elsewhere.

While the psu (480W) is a very good choice, is it enough for the graphics card, esp if he does decide to use 2 later on. I'm not sure about the power requirements for the 7800s, but may be worth checking.

Don't take these as a critism, just ideas off top of my head:-0

If the budget is flexible, you/he may prefer one of the dual-core amd x2 cpus, although he could upgrade to this later as the mobo will support these chips, these allow the user to say, play a game while at the same time ripping a cd.

Unless he is pretty sure about using the sli option later this is a waste and the money saved could be spent elsewhere.

While the psu (480W) is a very good choice, is it enough for the graphics card, esp if he does decide to use 2 later on. I'm not sure about the power requirements for the 7800s, but may be worth checking.

vinnyT 09:54 09 Aug 2005

Sorry, sites taking so long, I must have pressed 3 times.

Phil930 14:02 09 Aug 2005

Thanks for the reply Vinny T. Some good points.

The reason I had the Tagan 480 was because I run the older version of this on my EVGA 6800 which is a power hog too. However, your point is valid to avoid any problems. Therefore, which PSU would you recommend?

I thought about the dual core processor, however that was another $150 for something that will not actually be any quicker for the applications he will be using. But I wanted the potential to upgrade to it once they drop in price and pick up speed.

Finally - what is up with PC Advisor these days? The site hardly ever loads for me and is very slow for a ADSL connection.

Phil930 14:04 09 Aug 2005

Thanks for the reply Vinny T. Some good points.

The reason I had the Tagan 480 was because I run the older version of this on my EVGA 6800 which is a power hog too. However, your point is valid to avoid any problems. Therefore, which PSU would you recommend?

I thought about the dual core processor, however that was another $150 for something that will not actually be any quicker for the applications he will be using. But I wanted the potential to upgrade to it once they drop in price and pick up speed.

Finally - what is up with PC Advisor these days? The site hardly ever loads for me and is very slow for a ADSL connection.

vinnyT 11:26 10 Aug 2005

Sorry just got back, am on dialup so can't stay on all time.

Which psu? I'd still go with the Tagan just maybe a higher output (like I said, I don't yet know what the requirements of 2 7800 cards would be, that's where research comes in) say 550. Or maybe the Enermax 600 Noisetaker.

What's wrong with the site, don't know, but it sometimes takes 90-180 secs from when I click the post response button. On dialup it's getting too long sometimes when you want to TRY to help someone:-)

This friend you're building the pc for, does he live in the states? If so, thet's one heck of a commute for you if something goes wrong;-) Just kidding, you've chosen good components from reliable companies.

Good luck and I hope your friend appreciates his machine when it's done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?