Building my very first PC, have I overlooked anything?

Dylan_Greene 00:38 19 Aug 2013

Hello everyone. I've been using a Hp Pavilion DV6 laptop for a few years now, and she's getting a little old in the tooth. I really fancy giving this whole "Steam" thing a go, as I haven't been able to play any modern games for the last couple of years, and it still seems that building a computer can save a few pounds. So I have put together what I think is a decent sub £450 that should play all of the modern games (The latest Battlefield, Crysis 3, Skyrim, and Boarderlands 2 etc) But honestly, I really don't know anything in the slightest. So I was wondering if someone wouldn't mind "checking my homework" to see if I have used the best components for my budget, and if I've missed something glaring that could cause problems. Here is the list :- Asus M5A78L-M mobo (around £55) AMD FX6300 Black Edition (around £90) 4gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mz RAM (£30) A Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 (£155) and a Western Digital 1TB either black or blue depends on if I can find a Black for £50. So that leaves me with enough change for a Blu-ray drive and a copy of Windows 7 64bit. So that's what I'm looking at, if anyone has points of view good or bad, I would be most grateful. Thank you for your time!

Dylan_Greene 01:05 19 Aug 2013

Sorry I forgot to add, would a 600w PSU (such as the Corsair CX 600w) be enough power to run this comfortably, or should I also be looking at a larger PSU?

Chronos the 2nd 04:40 19 Aug 2013

A 600W PSU is more than enough and the Corsair is a good choice.

I see you are installing the 64bit version of Windows 7 which seems a little pointless as you are only using 4GB of RAM though it will be fine if you intend to add more RAM in the future.

Have you selected a case? Can I suggest this Core 1000 which has decent airflow, will accommodate your components nicely, is inexpensive and looks good in my opinion.

Dylan_Greene 10:38 19 Aug 2013

Thanks for confirming that I've picked the right PSU. I was going to double the RAM to 8 gig within a short time period after building, it would be just waiting for the next payday. :-) It's funny that you mention the Fractal Design 1000 case, as that was exactly the one I was looking at. Thank you very much for the quick reply.

Chronos the 2nd 11:03 19 Aug 2013

Your welcome. I remember my first PC,it did not go well. But that was many years ago and there was not the help there is today. I still build my own even though it is probably not as cost effective as it used to be. But I get what I want in respect of components and it is a great way to lean much about PC's.

Good luck with your build.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?