Building my very first PC, have I overlooked anything?

Dylan_Greene 00:38 19 Aug 2013

Hello everyone. I've been using a Hp Pavilion DV6 laptop for a few years now, and she's getting a little old in the tooth. I really fancy giving this whole "Steam" thing a go, as I haven't been able to play any modern games for the last couple of years, and it still seems that building a computer can save a few pounds. So I have put together what I think is a decent sub £450 that should play all of the modern games (The latest Battlefield, Crysis 3, Skyrim, and Boarderlands 2 etc) But honestly, I really don't know anything in the slightest. So I was wondering if someone wouldn't mind "checking my homework" to see if I have used the best components for my budget, and if I've missed something glaring that could cause problems. Here is the list :- Asus M5A78L-M mobo (around £55) AMD FX6300 Black Edition (around £90) 4gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mz RAM (£30) A Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 (£155) and a Western Digital 1TB either black or blue depends on if I can find a Black for £50. So that leaves me with enough change for a Blu-ray drive and a copy of Windows 7 64bit. So that's what I'm looking at, if anyone has points of view good or bad, I would be most grateful. Thank you for your time!

Dylan_Greene 01:05 19 Aug 2013

Sorry I forgot to add, would a 600w PSU (such as the Corsair CX 600w) be enough power to run this comfortably, or should I also be looking at a larger PSU?

Chronos the 2nd 04:40 19 Aug 2013

A 600W PSU is more than enough and the Corsair is a good choice.

I see you are installing the 64bit version of Windows 7 which seems a little pointless as you are only using 4GB of RAM though it will be fine if you intend to add more RAM in the future.

Have you selected a case? Can I suggest this Core 1000 which has decent airflow, will accommodate your components nicely, is inexpensive and looks good in my opinion.

Dylan_Greene 10:38 19 Aug 2013

Thanks for confirming that I've picked the right PSU. I was going to double the RAM to 8 gig within a short time period after building, it would be just waiting for the next payday. :-) It's funny that you mention the Fractal Design 1000 case, as that was exactly the one I was looking at. Thank you very much for the quick reply.

Chronos the 2nd 11:03 19 Aug 2013

Your welcome. I remember my first PC,it did not go well. But that was many years ago and there was not the help there is today. I still build my own even though it is probably not as cost effective as it used to be. But I get what I want in respect of components and it is a great way to lean much about PC's.

Good luck with your build.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)