Building my own PC

Severn Bore 14:24 31 Oct 2010

Hi
I am thinking of building my own PC having upgraded and altered my computers over many years. I have never attempted a build from scratch and wonder whether anyone can recommend a foolproof book/internet guide that would set me on the right track?

sunnystaines 14:27 31 Oct 2010

try and buy all parts from same supplier if possible easier to sort out if you have faulty parts.

make sure RAM, CPU, and M/B are compatable

john bunyan 14:48 31 Oct 2010

It may be worth considering a "bare bones" starter from Novatech - I think they offer some initial components bundled tpgether for you to add to.

click here

gengiscant 15:00 31 Oct 2010

First things first,figure out what your budget is,what you want to use the PC for, then start looking for components.
Where as there is nothing wrong with 'john bunyan's' suggestion,a bundle is hardly building a PC from scratch.

I believe a lot of the fun of building a PC is the research into components,making sure as best you can, that they are compatible.
There are many good component suppliers out there.
the already mentioned Novatech,there is also CCL,Scan,Ebuyer,Overclockers to name a few.

So take your time,it is not a big deal if it does not quite go to plan,most of us builders have problems of one sort or another,you can always get advice here.
As for books or websites, have a google.I cannot recommend any particular one off hand.

961 15:41 31 Oct 2010

The first computer I built was many years ago and I used this website to help

click here

I've yet to find a better instruction manual

The advice to buy all your components from one supplier is well worth following because if there should happen to be a problem and you've bought from different suppliers they'll all blame each other

Stick to the well known names. Novatech is a good supplier. As are Dabs and Misco. Gigabyte make great motherboards. Intel and AMD processors. Go Windows 7

tigertop2 15:51 31 Oct 2010

The 'Haynes' series of manuals by Kyle MacRae are an excellent guide to building your own PC and can be found in most bookshops or on line
click here#

I built my first PC using this and have now bult many more

citadel 19:00 31 Oct 2010

its easy now everything is user friendly, first get a good case and power supply with the 80+ logo. then motherboard, I use asus as their reliability is excellent. get memory cpu etc that the board uses, the manual that comes with the board has all you need to know.

Severn Bore 16:31 02 Nov 2010

Thanks to all for your help. I will go ahead with a self-build after Christmas, taking account of all your good advice.

micemews 16:33 03 Nov 2010

I built a computer for the first time about 4 years ago having had little experience of using a pc,spreadsheets and word processing only. I had never had a pc of my own and had never even seen inside the case of a pc.

I found the Haynes Manual quite useful, but even better was 'Build Your Own PC' by Morris Rosenthal.

As far as matching the components was concerned I examined the specifications of adverts for pcs in the PC Magazines to get a good idea of compatibility. I was then able to buy the individual components from0 the supplier of my choice.

Ultimately the total cost of my pc was in excess of a similar specified 'off the shelf' pc but you cant put a price on the satisfaction of having done it yourself.

PS It is still going strong.

Severn Bore 18:36 03 Nov 2010

Thanks Micemews
Your experience gives me encouragement.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?