Building my own pc

YinHoNg 13:26 20 Aug 2004

I'm gonna try to build my own pc.

Do you know any guides that will help me. I'm an amateur.

thanks.

Graham ® 13:44 20 Aug 2004

Put 'build a pc' in google. This will start you off: click here

Personally, I think you would be better off buying off the shelf. Those PCs are mass produced, so they can buy the components in bulk, much cheaper than you can.

So you may find you get a higher spec for your money.

bremner 13:47 20 Aug 2004

or this one click here

.........and I agree with Graham, whilst building your own brings a sense of acheivement the reality is that you can not build a machine for the price you can buy one.

Graham ® 13:56 20 Aug 2004

For £800 you can get click here

OK, the FX5200 graphics are not the best, and you can add to the hard drive, but you have £100 in your pocket.

SEASHANTY 14:05 20 Aug 2004

Substantial info also on the PC TechGuide website
click here

bremner 14:08 20 Aug 2004

£600 click here

Graham ® 14:18 20 Aug 2004

If you go ahead with a build, this will calculate the power supply:click here

Graham ® 14:26 20 Aug 2004

And don't forget you will have to buy the software for Windows, Office, etc.

gobi 14:37 20 Aug 2004

I am in the same shoes as you. Buying or building. The problem is not almost all offered are top of the notch, and my budget is less than that. The one offered within the budget is alright, albeit come with a more inferior mobo than I want. I am now trying to get a quote from the shop and will see it from there.
I guess this you can try that too...

Tog_ 15:00 20 Aug 2004

Building your own PC gives you a machine that fits your requirements and not a sales target or profit margin. You can also plan now for future upgrades (something most package PCs ignore in order to cut costs).

Downside = Software, but it only has to be bought once and warranty, but then the individual items are warrantied.

jonnytub 15:05 20 Aug 2004

local dealers can be very competitive, give them the specs you want and ask 4 a quote.

Bremner: That mesh deal is a steal if it comes with the 19" tft, but in the spec sheet below it say's 15" tft??? i wonder....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires