building my first pc - lots of help needed

Beverley Anne 18:24 08 Feb 2003

Hi everyone,

I hope that someone can help me please I am really
tempted to have a go at building my first pc.

I don't really know the what things I needed to put on my shopping list-other than a good easy to follow book,the case,os xp (I think )motherboard,soundcard,processor,harddrive,cd drive floppy drive,memory,modem,usb2 firewire pcicards, dvd drive, tool kit and anti static kit.

I want to use the pc mainly for video editing, but using it to get onto the internet would be great.

I have been looking through a computer catalogue but to me it's mind blowing as there are all different motherboards,soundcards, cases, memory etc, etc.

I haven't got a clue what would be the one best for me out of any of the components.

Any help would be grateful recieved or do you think I have bitten off more than I can chew.
Anything that I have had put inside the case as always been done by someone qualified to do the job so this is a big step for me to take. ( I have got loads of patiences though!!)

Thanks inadvance

Beverley

Rayuk 18:31 08 Feb 2003

Perhaps a look through here may help you decide
click here

Djohn 18:32 08 Feb 2003

Beverley Anne, PCA recently covered this very subject a couple of months back, spread over three issues, these are available on order and will tell you all you need to know.

Then as you start to build, just keep popping in to the forum here and you will receive all the help you need.

jay123 19:19 08 Feb 2003

I built my first pc last summer. This one infact. I didnt know a lot when i started but i am pritty good at it now. A few sites i used are listed below, both for buying componants and helping with the process. Hope this helps.
Toms Hardware
click here
Dabs
click here
Crucial (good memory)
click here
Overclockers (best returns out there, had a faulty part and got a replacement the next day, before the old part had been colected!)
click here

M

Beverley Anne 07:45 09 Feb 2003

Hi me again

Just to say thanks for to all who took the time to answer my question.

Djohn thanks for letting me know that PCA covering this very topic in their magazine recently. I downloaded a pdf format. £3.50 is a great price to pay to get all the info I need.
I am going to get hold of these 3 back issues when I take out a subscripition to the magazine.

I

Beverley Anne 07:48 09 Feb 2003

Hi me again

Just to say thanks for to all who took the time to answer my question.

Djohn thanks for letting me know that PCA covering this very topic in their magazine recently. I downloaded a pdf format. £3.50 is a great price to pay to get all the info I need.
I am going to get hold of these 3 back issues when I take out a subscripition to the magazine.

Thanks Again

Beverley

961 10:31 09 Feb 2003

Try click here for a helping hand throughout

clayton 10:37 09 Feb 2003

Also here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?