Building a media centre PC

andymet87 23:47 23 Jan 2009

Hi, I'm thinking of building the following media centre PC to have by my tv...

Motherboard: Jetway JNC62K

CPU: AMD Black Edition - AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.8 GHz Processor (5400+)

CPU Fan: Silverstone NT07-AM2

RAM: 2GB DDR2 800 PC6400 SDRAM

Hard Drive: 320GB W. Digital Scorpio SATA 5400rpm 8MB 2.5In Hard Drive

Optical Drive: Sony BC-5600S-01 (blu-ray)

CASE: Jou Jye NU-528i

OEM: Vista Home Premium

Vista Remote: Blackgold Advanced Remote

TV Card: Blackgold BGT3540 & remote

This should be capable of Blu-Ray DVD playback, recieving freesat including the HD channels, recieving freeview and cable TV (not all at once). all in vista media centre (with some software alterations). I hope to be able to plug my sky viewing card in as well via a USB cam socket but dont know anything about this yet!

It should be very quiet, in fact almost silent as it is all cooled passively. It also should be energy effieicent due to the nature of the board and the 65w CPU.

The system above can be costed on the date of this post at £650 (inc delivery of all parts). Without the blu-ray drive the system comes in at £499.

What do you think? Is it a good setup? Any constructive comments would be more than welcome. Thanks

zoidberg 14:02 24 Jan 2009

thats looks a ok setup.just watch the temps as mine got quite hot inside the case even though i had plenty of acoustic fans inside of my origenae case.ended up putting watercooling in to cure that problem.i have a asus p5e-vm hdmi inside mine with integrated graphics chipset with a q6600 and plays blu ray films fine.its just a case of trial and error see what goes best.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?