Building first PC, after Xmas. (On Budget!)

Absinthe minded 11:09 26 Sep 2008

Hello all,

Im planing on building my first full PC, some time soon after Xmas( awaiting funds :) )

i am a ICT tech, i know wot im doing, even thou i have not fully built a pc for start to finish.
i know i what the new Antec 1200 ;), dose any1 have this, or like??

im on a budget of 400-500 squid...(i say that, but..!)

not to bothered about overclocking,
CPU... Q6600... do people still rate this as good??
GPU...something with 512, dont need more?
RAM... 4 gb, any recomendations??

I know there is really no point in looking till after xmas, but im trying to 'plan' it out!
If you have any usefull thoughts, hints/tips...im all ears.

kind Regards

Absinthe minded

woody 16:20 26 Sep 2008

It should be fun building your own PC if you do not have to return too much.

At this price range there are some good buys about but you will learn a great deal building your own - have you seen the Aldi one - nice price but know no more than that about specs.

GaT7 17:47 26 Sep 2008

1. What are you going to do on the new PC? The more details the better.

2. Does your budget incl/excl peripherals - monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse, etc, etc?

3. If yes to the above, describe what you're looking for, e.g. size of monitor, wireless keyboard/mouse, etc.

4. The Q6600 CPU is fine for most things.

5. GPU & amount of its RAM will depend on what you do on it. GPU RAM speed & type is usually more important than amount. E.g. a DDR3 256Mb 8800GT card will be much more powerful than a DDR2 1Gb 8600GT card, especially in 3D applications & games.

6. A good PSU is important.

7. 2-3Gb system RAM will do for WinXP, 3-4Gb for Vista. Not that relevant really because RAM is inexpensive these days, & only a 64-bit OS will recognise more than 4Gb anyway.

I like the Antec 1200 case too - large, cool (in more ways than one!), quite well-made & good-looking. It may not be the quietest case though, especially if you have all the cooling fans running at once. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?