Building computer...but cant install windows xp

phonix_monkey 11:53 19 Jul 2005

ive built a computer from bits and bobs for my housemate and ive formatted the harddrive using my other computer but when i plug it in the one im building it just says replace/remove disk and restart.

Motherboard: CR120 compaq
processor: 333MHZ
ram: 256mb

Ive thought of installing windows on this harddrive using my computer but i cant seem to access the cd drive in dos to install it

My questions are:

1/ can i install windows on a harddrive using another computer and then replace it back in the other machine?

2/ I need to know how to make a boot cd for xp with cd support for atapi?

if anyone can help that would be great....

cheers

jimv7 11:56 19 Jul 2005

Using the xp cd, boot the computer from cd and follow onscreen instuctions.

ventanas 11:58 19 Jul 2005

question 1. Probably not as Windows will install drivers for all the hardware it finds. This will be different on another computer.

question 2. Your existing XP cd is fully bootable, and will be able to access the cd drive.

vinnyT 12:06 19 Jul 2005

Daft Q? does your bios (in the rebuilt pc) support cd boot?

If not, you'll have to boot with floppy (including cd driver).

phonix_monkey 12:07 19 Jul 2005

Yeah i understand you logical comments.

the problems are:

The bios can either boot from cd or hddrive. floppy is not working for some reason.

But when i plug in the hdd that has been formatted in, it doesnt like that fact its got nothing on it and it will just not boot from cd...

what do you thinks going on?

woodchip 12:17 19 Jul 2005

The settings are not in the correct order to boot from CD in BIOS. This should be in Advanced BIOS Features page. Should be Floppy, CD+ROM, HDD-0

then when it boots it should check each drive for a bootable disc. AS XP disc, whether floppy or CD, it goes through all until it finds on

phonix_monkey 12:29 19 Jul 2005

there is no option for a floppy frive and the computer just crashed saying' restart' even if cdrom is first

harps1h 12:41 19 Jul 2005

does your cd rom show up in the bios? if so as was said earlier you should boot from the cdrom first then the hdd second the floppy third.

from there the disk takes over and will format the drive putting on a partition. then it will load on the files to install the os then it will install the application asking you to confirm details and the cd key number.

i dont understand your sentence "But when i plug in the hdd that has been formatted in, it doesnt like that fact its got nothing on it and it will just not boot from cd..." is this an external disk?

harps1h 12:42 19 Jul 2005

sorry just reread your your first post. try the format option with the disk in your machine

harps1h 12:43 19 Jul 2005

sorry just reread your your first post. try the format option with the disk in your machine

gudgulf 12:49 19 Jul 2005

Make sure the floppy disc ribbon cable is inserted the right way round and see if it is detected in the BIOS then.If not load the default BIOS settings/clear the CMOS by using the jumper near the battery (or removing the battery) and try again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?